Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: I think Abraham Lincoln was a good president (same as before)
Agree 58 85.29%
Disagree 10 14.71%
Voters: 68. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-12-2006, 05:26 AM

Default $25NL proper turn play line after b3b flopped top2

Ultimate Bet No-Limit Hold'em, $.25 BB (8 handed) internettexasholdem.com

saw flop|<font color="#C00000">saw showdown</font>

<font color="#C00000">UTG+1 ($23.50)</font>
MP1 ($37.35)
MP2 ($35.95)
CO ($16.65)
Button ($19.15)
<font color="#C00000">Hero ($25.45)</font>
BB ($19.75)
<font color="#C00000">UTG ($15.60)</font>

Preflop: Hero is SB with T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
UTG+1 calls $0.25, MP1 calls $0.25, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, Hero completes, BB checks.

Flop: ($1) 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $1</font>, BB folds, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 raises to $2</font>, MP1 calls $2, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $7</font>, UTG+1 calls $5, MP1 folds.

Turn: ($17) J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>

What should hero do here after this connected overcard hits?

(only ~50 hands history with opp and seems slightly loose slightly agg so far)
Old 07-12-2006, 07:14 AM

Default Re: $25NL proper turn play line after b3b flopped top2

I'm pushing all in here. It's a flop sized bet. It's smells too fishy if you just check here. If you check you'll either end up giving a free card or going all in anyway.

At least if you think he'll bet after a check then it's worth betting anyway, that way you get some fold equity.
Old 07-12-2006, 07:41 AM

Push, I think we're ahead, from the villians play there's a reasonable chance he'll call with second best.

I don't like the idea of checking, we want to build a pot here. After betting $8 you're going to have to put the rest in on the river anyway so might as well get it done now.
Old 07-12-2006, 08:08 AM

The only draw you fear coming in is 87, and if that's what he has, so be it; his range is much wider than that. I'm thinking specifically AT though; I don't think he raises you with JT.

But now, with two [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]s and a 3-straight on the board, you absolutely cannot give a free card.

And since all you have left is a PSB... in it goes.
Old 07-12-2006, 01:44 PM

From AJGibson:

[ QUOTE ]
I don't like the idea of checking, we want to build a pot here. After betting $8 you're going to have to put the rest in on the river anyway so might as well get it done now.

[/ QUOTE ]

From ChipStorm:

[ QUOTE ]
The only draw you fear coming in is 87, and if that's what he has, so be it; his range is much wider than that. I'm thinking specifically AT though; I don't think he raises you with JT.

But now, with two [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]s and a 3-straight on the board, you absolutely cannot give a free card.

And since all you have left is a PSB... in it goes.

[/ QUOTE ]

So I've been reading HOH3 recently and seeing a lot of the time where H talks about wanting to build the pot, not push out villain, when we have a good hand. So what are villain's possible hands, and are there any that we are stronger then that are more likely to (incorrectly) call the $8 turn bet than the PSB on the turn? That was my thinking behind the $8 bet (which is what I made). Seems like it is 4:1 in favor of all-in over the HPSB of $8.

My thinking is villains range possible hands to limp preflop and raise/call the flop is:

AA-QQ - less likely to limp preflop, postflop play seems possible, more likely to call HPSB than PSB IMO (although QQ calls anything with the OESD+overpair)
JJ - less likely to limp preflop, postflop play seems possible, calls anything
TT,99,33 - reasonablely likely to limp preflop, postflop play less likely but possible, calls anything
QJ - fits the hand to date fairly well, much more likely to call HPSB then PSB
87 - fits the hand to date fairly well, likely to call anything
JT - fits the hand to date fairly well, likely to call anything
AT - fits the hand to date fairly well, much more likely to call HPSB then PSB
KQ - likely to limp preflop, postflop play seems possible (10 outs to beat TP on flop), calls anything
KJ - likely to limp preflop, postflop play seems possible (10 outs to beat TP on flop), more likely to call HPSB

So I thought are there any hands better than mine that are folding to a PSB but not a HPSB? No, no hand better than mine is folding. Are there any hands likely to call a HPSB on the turn and then not call the all-in bet getting 5:1 on the river? No, even "drawing" hands likely have some pair here and are likely to pay off. Are there hands I'm ahead of that might be more likely to incorrectly call a HPSB (and then river bet) that wouldn't call a PSB? Maybe. Hands like AT, AA, KJ, etc. are all more likely to get drawn in by the HPSB then the PSB.

Actual results: <font color="white">
I made the HPSB of $8, UTG+1 c/r all-in for an extra ~$8, I called. Villain had AhAd and the river was the 3d and MHIG.

Another lesson on why one should limp AA from EP. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
</font>