Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > Tournament Circuit/WSOP
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-12-2006, 11:14 AM

Default Re: \"Official\" WSOP Event #20: $50,000 H.O.R.S.E.

[ QUOTE ]
There is so much NLHE/PLHE on TV that I would think showing other games would create interest in general. There are a lot of people that don't understand NLHE anyway.

[/ QUOTE ]

If people don't understand no limit holdem, do you really expect them to understand a high limit mixed game? The masses want NLHE, and as has already been stated, televising/editing a HORSE FT would be a nightmare.

[ QUOTE ]
There are also serious players who would like to see other games and casual viewers tired of seeing the same thing all the time.

[/ QUOTE ]

Serious players can/will go rail the pre-FT levels of the event. The proliferation of NLHE on television on tons of channels implicitly refutes your claim that "tons of casual viewers are tired of NLHE." If people were really clamoring for high limit 7 card stud, we'd see it on television. Just because you're tired of seeing NLHE on TV doesn't mean everyone else agrees.
Old 07-12-2006, 11:15 AM

Largest buy-in in WSOP history, to reach the final table you must play 3 days of fantastic poker playing many different game variations through a field of incredibly tough players. This final table NEEDS to be televised. It would be a horrible decision to NOT televise it.
As previously discussed, it would be horrible to televise HORSE as a mixed game, as it would be confusing. Therefore, NL Holdem is the best alternative. It`s not like NL has no skill, and its not like they didn`t have to demonstrate versatility in all games in order to make it to the final table.
Old 07-12-2006, 11:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Having the final table be NLHE is the worst decision from a poker standpoint I could think of.

[/ QUOTE ]

What about every other decision Harrah's made this WSOP?
Old 07-12-2006, 11:20 AM

Mason said earlier that David Sklansky was interested in playing this event. Any update?
Old 07-12-2006, 11:20 AM

I think this is going to be a really cool event even with nlhe at the final table. I looking forward to seeing this one more than the ME.
Old 07-12-2006, 11:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
no, you misread his post. this FT is definitely NLHE. he was correcting me and saying that FTs in the past (presumably non-televised ones) have not been this way.

[/ QUOTE ]

My bad, I guess it does pay to read all the rest of the posts again. Thanks.

Still doesn't change my opinion, For one night ESPN could just show a Razz hand or two, I think it would be great. If ESPN can show Bass Fishing, Trick Bowling, Paintball, Log Rolling and the WNBA! they can show a final table of HORSE played in all the games. I don't think that HORSE will ruin their 1.7 rating anyway.
Old 07-12-2006, 11:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
As cool as it would be to see for us diehard fans, it would be a television nightmare.

[/ QUOTE ]

If they showed all the hands then it'd be a hell of a lot better than World Cup Soccer.

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP.

Let me see, it's been a hard fought NBA final series, and we are now down to game 7. Lets have a free throw shooting contest decide the winner of this game.
If people are interested enough to watch hold'em, I think they would at least tolerate the other games. Even if they want to heavily tilt the TV coverage to favor hold'em hands, they should still leave the other games in the rotation. Seems really dumb to me.
Old 07-12-2006, 11:31 AM

This would be a great field. I don't think we gonna see a lot of amateurs, $50.000 is a lot of money, and I think that the amateurs will choose the main event instead of this one. 100 - 125 players will be my prediction.

Based on earlier WSOP H.O.R.S.E. results and rumours, the following players will probably participate:

Scott Fischman
Men 'The Master'
Doyle Brunson
David Plastik
Scotty Nguyen
Allen Cunningham
Carlos Mortensen
Phil Hellmuth
Daniel Negreanu
Phil Ivey
Ted Forrest
Barry Greenstein
John Juanda
Huck Seed
Todd Brunson
Minh Nguyen
TJ Cloutier

and I hope: Chip Reese
Old 07-12-2006, 11:37 AM

Sounds fun ! : )
Old 07-12-2006, 11:41 AM

Personally if I were the big name players I wouldn't be too pissed about them creating an event with a $10,000,000 prize pool.