Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-11-2006, 11:45 PM

Default Armagnac - Suggestions?

Recently tried Armangac for the 1st time, a brand called Gelas, and it was quite good. Ive done some searches on google and cant seem to find it in the U.S.

Any armangac fans around care to give me some tips on some good brands I can try out to start? Nothing too too pricey just yet as I want to get a better feel before taking the plunge on some of the more expensive expressions...
Old 07-12-2006, 12:47 AM

Default Re: Armagnac - Suggestions?

I've actually never tried Armagnac. It's just so rarely available, as you've found. The best I can do to help you is to say that the Germain-Robin Old Havana ($95 at this site) is branded by them as a California brandy for Armagnac lovers. I reviewed a few other brandies from the same distillery that were all fantastic, and are something to consider. They may not be from Armagnac, but they're top quality distilled wine.
Old 07-12-2006, 12:55 AM

I've tried it a few times and enjoy it, but as far as naming off one as better than the other, that's beyond me. I've got one bottle that I couldn't name to save my life.

As I understand Armagnac, there are no dominant producers, all are very small, very individual. You really need to find an expert with a supply, as the run from any one producer is so small as it'll be difficult to find in many different locations. The internet should help track down anything anyone can recommend.

Here are some recommendations from Food & Wine:

Best Address for Armagnac
A recent catalog from New York's Union Square Wines & Spirits offers a large array of vintage Armagnac. There are bottles from virtually every year as far back as 1935, as well as the names of celebrities born in each year (should you want to send them Armagnac, we suppose). A bottle of the 1970 for Tonya Harding, anyone? (212-677-5300)

Larressingle Armagnac V.S.O.P. ($42/750 ml) As aficionados know, Armagnac is the king of brandies—and this simply seductive bottling showcases its attractions.

Best Armagnac

Baron de Lustrac 1980
Cognac is associated with powerhouse brands that are often name-dropped by rap stars; Armagnac is produced by hundreds of anonymous farmsteads scattered around the Gascony region of southwest France. Luckily, the négociant firm Baron de Lustrac scours the countryside in search of bottlings like this one, made by Domaine de la Croix Pelanne from a grape called Baco. Small-scale farming and microdistilling produce a spirit so perfect on its own that it doesn't need blending. More than two decades in oak have made it stunningly mellow, with a lingering caramel warmth that lasts so long it really shouldn't be called a "finish" ($75; 800-595-1768).
Old 07-12-2006, 01:15 AM

Other than your distinctions of scale and quality, are there any fundamental distinctions in the making of Armagnac and Cognac?
Old 07-12-2006, 08:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I've actually never tried Armagnac. It's just so rarely available, as you've found. The best I can do to help you is to say that the Germain-Robin Old Havana ($95 at this site) is branded by them as a California brandy for Armagnac lovers. I reviewed a few other brandies from the same distillery that were all fantastic, and are something to consider. They may not be from Armagnac, but they're top quality distilled wine.

[/ QUOTE ]

Definately going to try the Germain Robin!
Old 07-12-2006, 08:49 AM

After doing some more research last night, I found this link which is actually really helpful

What You Need to Know About Armangac
Old 07-12-2006, 10:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Other than your distinctions of scale and quality, are there any fundamental distinctions in the making of Armagnac and Cognac?

[/ QUOTE ]

For those who don't want to read the long and informative article just posted, I think the short answer is Armagnac is single distilled, Cognac is double distilled. Of course there are a lot of other differences, but I think that's the main one. That and Armagnac is like single-malt Scotch, wildly varied, single producer, single vintage even, while Cognac is blended to a sameness for a more predictable product, like blended Scotch. Each is good, great in some cases, but Armagnac is more of a crap shoot.