Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Heads Up Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-11-2006, 09:47 PM

Default Re: Heads Up NL SNG, when the blinds are low

[ QUOTE ]
Slappy I agree with you at the first 3 rules. But fourth is incorrect I think. I have a bad habit of playing without thinking. Playing like a maschine to much. But when I think about my oppenent and his likely holdings and what I should do it usually only improve my descisions. E.g. should I go for the Check-raise or bet out against this weak player. Some times you are just to used to play against Maniacs where the Check-raise is more profitable, but people are different. Some are maniacs others are calling stations and some are weak-tight.
<font color="green">Let me be more clear about the fourth rule. Basically if you find that you are investing alot of thought into many hands, you're probably playing -EV and maybe on tilt (at least thats how it is for me). Of course we can take 15 seconds to think through the logic of a major hand. But if you're doing a lot of thinking, you're probably OVERTHINKING, since your typical opponent is just a retard. I guess what I'm saying is to be doing the obvious straightforward thing that requires very little thought almost every time. </font>

This is my HU strategy that I have found pretty succesfull. I have been playing a little more than 100 5$ SNGs, and 80 10$ SNG. I actually don't know my exact win rate (can anyone tell me how to watch it. I have been using pokertracker, but can't find where I see win rate).

<font color="green">There is a complicated way to set it up to automatically pick your finish place from your emails, but I'm far too stupid to use that part of PT. Under 'file' there is 'PokerStars tournament results - manual entry...' you click on this and then manually input the buyin, payout and finishes for your matches. It's a grind but the only way I know how. </font>
But it's probably around 60-70%. Remember this is only general, and I don't follow this strategy exactely.

General

Against LAG maniacs I usually plat tight / passive. Just being patient and waiting for my chance. Im very seldom trying to rebluff or making moves.

Against thinkings LAGs (they doesn't have to be winning players, just players who try to make moves that are reasonalbe and think about my cards). I usually play aggressive as well. If they understand position and use the always raise preflop / always CB if checked to - strategy. I do the same thing as them when I am in position. Some times I make the Check-call bet any turn move when they CB for for third time in a row. I don't do that very often, but if I think they are able of laying down 2 overcards or a little pair I will use it occasionally.

I don't like the check-raise bluff, because in my experience people are more likely to call a CR where I raises 120 to 180, than a 120 bet at turn. THat is probably because 2 cards are left to be shown at the flop and only 1 card at the turn. Also if they have hand like TT on a K,8,7 board and I check-raises they will usually call. But when the turn is an ace and I bet, the chances of him folding are larger (they may off course improve or pick up a draw, but that doesn't happen very often).

Second barrel bluff. I use it when I feel it's right. It's impossible to make a general rule, when to use it and when not too. But if your oppenent a few times have been folding to a second barrel and you haven't been making any second barrel at some time, it might be a good time to use it. But really I don't do it very often. Maybe only in 25% of my matches.

If I have been taking the last few pots without showdown I usually show down. Expecting them to be impatient and play a bit more aggressive.

Against Tight players I usually play LAG.

If a player (unless he is a maniac/callingstation) check turn when I am in position and the flop was checked as well, I will bet turn around 95% of the time.
<font color="green">All of this seems like decent strategy. </font>

If a player has been calling my CBs a bit to much I usually raise less preflop. Maybe 10-15% of the time, and I CB the same % of the time.
<font color="green">If you're only betting the flop %15 of the time after you raise PF, that means you're only betting Top pair or better. If you're raising %15 of your hands PF, I think you should be Cbetting about %50 of flops </font>
But now my CBs will mean a better hand. If this situation happens often, where he calls CBs. Turn goes check-check. And he bets river which I can't call. I will start checking turn with hands like: ATo on a t,7,9s,6s (a drawheavy board) where betting usually would be best. But if can catch a river bluff from him often enough it isn't very important if he draws out on me around 30% of the time.

Holding a medium good hand in position at the turn, when your oppenent checks to you and he check-called your flop bet. E.g. You have 7-8. Board is: 8-T-3-4 rainbow. Pot is 150. YOu each have 1425 left. You have seen your oppenent slowplay a few hands, and your unsure if you have the best hand. If you check turn you have a hard time calling any river bet without improving. If you bet weak. Lets say 60-75. Your oppenent will usually call if he has a draw and raise you if he has a monster and call if he has an 8 or ten. Maybe he also calls with weaker hands. By betting around 100-150 you risk more and increase the chance of him only calling with better hands or draws. When you bet turn instead of checking he is more likely to check river, because you showedstrenght by betting twice. Even if he makes his draw and he usually won't try to bluff you out of the pot. Also most draws aren't getting the right price when you bet 60-75.
<font color="green">Sounds good </font>

Usually I raise to 55 on stars and 60 on Full tilt. Thats because it's faster to type 55 than 60,
<font color="green">This makes no sense unless you're 4 tabling or something. Even then, you should be betting what you think is right, not what types fastest. </font>
and on full tilt you can just click the pot button.
If my oppenent calls to much (more than 50% of the time) I increase the size of my raise till he calls around 50% of the time. If he calls very seldom (less than 40%), I raise a little less with my good hands (At+. A8s+.77+,Jqs+.Jk+). It is very rarely he will pick up this tell and if you have a feeling he has done that, simply start raising biger with your weaker hands as well.

Standard CB is 75. But change it to a bigger bet if he is a fish.

PLaying oop preflop with a good (good hand = you think you have a better hand than your oppenent.E.g. If he limps A5o is often the best hand. But if he raise preflop only A8o+ is a good hand hand) where you commits more than 10% of your stack. Usually push instead of call unless your oppenent is a big donkey. Example: Blinds 25-50. You have a t1000 stack and TT at the BB. He raises to 150. I think pushing generally is the best play. TT is a very good hand and you definately wanna get a call from him. But if you reraise to 450. He calls. Flop comes K,x,x. (an overcard comes around 75% of the time when holding TT). What are you gonna do now? Push ? Check? If he is a decent player he is usually gonna fold most hand if you push but not a hand that beats you.
<font color="green">This is absoloutely right </font>

The 10-20 level.
Usually I play only my cards preflop at this level. I do not raise with 84s preflop because I think he is weak. I usually raise with the top 20% hands. And I will CB around 80% of the time against the average player which I define as a bad player but do not have any big leaks (like always raise/overbets pots a lot/call to much e.g.). <font color="green"> Good strat, %80 cbet may be a bit high </font>

15/30 level.
If I picked my oppenent as non donkey I usually start getting more aggressive. My standard preflop raise is to 75. I will raise around 50% of the time preflop now against oppenents cabable of laying down hands and still CB 80% of the time. Standard CB is 100.

25/50.
My favourite level. Most people tighten up at this level even maniacs who just raised to 100 preflop every hand and overbet the flop by 300% starts folding more (in my experience. There is off course a lot of expections). I pretty much never limp at this level because raising to 125 preflop (my standard raise) makes them fold so often. Standard CB is 150.

[/ QUOTE ] <font color="green">You sound like a solid player with no huge leaks. I hope I don't play against you very much! </font>
Old 07-12-2006, 04:55 AM

Default Re: Heads Up NL SNG, when the blinds are low

"This makes no sense unless you're 4 tabling or something. Even then, you should be betting what you think is right, not what types fastest."

I know. But I feel that the 55/60 raising amount against the unknown player as a standard raise is the right amount. If you raise 80/100 some players just tighten up to much, and even though you are happy to win the blinds very often their cards are generally much better than yours when you are getting called. But against the calling station you also don' thave to raise that much preflop. Why invest so much preflop if he is calling anyway on the flop/turn and river? The best time to raie big (3+BB) is against the little to loose, and weak players.

"If you're only betting the flop %15 of the time after you raise PF, that means you're only betting Top pair or better. If you're raising %15 of your hands PF, I think you should be Cbetting about %50 of flops "

. Lets say this is your preflop raising range against the player who calls to many CBs. If I CB around 80-90% of the time. He calls pfr around 80% of the time and he calls CB 60% of the time, he is making a lot of mistakes. You don't have to bet toppair or better to make it profitable. Often you can valuebet Ace high or small pairs against this type. But if he makes moves against you. Like check-raise bluff, og just use the call CB lead turn move bluff. Then you gotta CB a little less. 50-60% is probably the right amount.

A7s+,K9s+,QTs+,JTs,ATo+,KTo+,QJo

Just got that tournament email from stars. My record for the 10$ SNG was 56-24. Better than I expected I guess.