Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-11-2006, 01:44 AM

Default What are the best poker podcasts?

the circuit? .... lets here some thoughts
Old 07-11-2006, 03:24 AM

Default Re: What are the best poker podcasts?

Bluff poker radio is fantastic! and very funny. Dirty old Wally cracks me up. Nick is also fantastic to listen too.
Old 07-11-2006, 03:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Bluff poker radio is fantastic! and very funny. Dirty old Wally cracks me up. Nick is also fantastic to listen too.

[/ QUOTE ]

You must either be joking or another Bluff employee troll. The Bluff radio show is AWFUL. The host Nick is a supreme blend of arrogance and incompetence, with a queer Liverpool accent to boot. Dirty Wally has finally been dismissed, bringing some mercy to listeners and allowing him more time to dump money into the LA poker scene. His replacement has actually been decent thus far, so things may be looking up provided Nick gets hit by a train.

The only redeeming quality of the show is the occasionally high calibre of guest they miraculously dupe into appearing. Of course the morons hosting always manage to drain as much worthwhile content from the interview as possible, but even those turds can't completely dull the shine of the true stars.

Bluff Poker Radio is 40% commercials, 25% idiots calling in about their $5 SNG bad beats, 20% nauseating rantings of the hosts, 12.5% weird phone calls from lonely truck drivers, & 2.5% quality insight from poker pros.
Old 07-11-2006, 04:00 PM

"Rounders, the Poker Show" is the 2nd best poker podcast that I'm aware of.
Old 07-11-2006, 06:17 PM

I am a Ciruit junkie so that obviously makes the list. I have Doyle's Room, which I haven't finished listening to so I can't be a good judge. "Ante Up", a podcast by some people in Tampa Bay isn't that good from what I've listened to so far. I still have over 50 episodes on my iTunes that I need to drag through. Has anyone heard anything about MSR's poker podcast or NetBettor.com's? There is a video podcast available on iTunes too about poker, but they aren't good at all. ESPN's Poker Edge is pretty good too. Where do you get that Rounders podcast from?
Old 07-11-2006, 06:44 PM

I listen to The Circuit and ESPN's Poker Edge. The latter is now available via iTunes. Phil Gordon's WSOP podcasts are also back at Expert Insight. Streaming only right now, downloadable and RSS feeds to come soon.

I find the Rounders hosts irritating.
Old 07-11-2006, 07:14 PM

I think Rounders is excellent. The first one i listened to was the Yukon Brad one, and was pretty impressed by the amount of knowledge the 2 hosts had. I'm right now listening to all the archived episodes.
Old 07-11-2006, 07:44 PM

i love the circuit, they have quality guests that are either usually interesting and good at poker. the hosts are good too, joe sebok and gavin smith seem like they know what theyre talking about. i loved how barry greenstein said he could train a monkey to play better poker than gavin.
Old 07-11-2006, 08:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
the circuit? .... lets here some thoughts

[/ QUOTE ]

Ive listened to every Circuit podcast -- and I hate to say this, but -- the show is a friggin joke. In the worst sense.

The caliber of players they get to interview on the show is second-to-none. Contrastly, the interviews themselves are second-rate at best, and pathetic at worst.

The most recent interview with the iconical Chris "Jesus" Ferguson opened my eyes to the extremely poor quality of the show. The host, Scott Huff, fell flat on his face as far as I was concerned. He was very obviously unprepared, sloppy, unmotivated and tired.

The questions were hackneyed and lame.

For instance, "how do you adjust to the fields full of inexperienced players." R u f'n kidding me?

The follow-ups were amatuerish.

He barely mentioned Ferguson's WSOPME win. He didn't go into even layman's-level detail about how Ferguson has put to use his CompSci background during this online-poker boom. No mention of exactly Jesus' role at Full Tilt.

Smith and Sebok are ok. Smith is definitely the most talented of the two. He is relaxed, straight-forward and can analyze poker hands like a mother. I caught Smith doing an interview on Best Damn Sports. He was a natural - very in-control, entertaining and insightful. He comes off similarly on the radio.

I have nothing against Sebok personally, but on the show he sounds like the whiniest little gurl eva. Hez not very clever and he and Huff joke around like they are sharing a dorm freshman year. I have far more respect for Smith's opinion than Sebok's, as Smith is reigning WPT player of the year while Sebok is basically a middle-of-the-road NL tournament player. If Greenstein weren't his Dad, very few of us would even know his name.

Check the show out if you'd like, just don't be fooled by the big name interviewees. Huff and Co. as hosts and interviewers is -EV.
Old 07-11-2006, 09:31 PM

The Circuit is excellent - the advice they give is top notch and the show is extremely entertaining.

I also like expert insight's podcasts, Phil Gordon is going to start posting them in mp3 format soon (they are already available in streaming audio for this year)

FullTilt has some excellent, albeit short podcasts on their site as well.