Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-18-2006, 04:09 PM

Default Re: What does your football team need to do to improve this offseason?

[ QUOTE ]

If the CBA is NOT extended then from what I can gather they lose just a little bit this year but then will be free and clear in future years...

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't know this. I wonder if there is an article around that explains the Skins cap situation next year....

But anyway...you are right about Brunell. I think his gas tank was completly empty at the end of the year. I wouldn't be surprised to see Campbell starting at some point September.
Old 01-18-2006, 04:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I hear Bates is probably going to follow Sherman wherever he goes.
What do you think about Sherman? From what I've seen of him, he:
A) goes for it on 4th&short in FG range up by 14 in the 4th Qtr when a FG can ice the game (Vikings game last year)
B) punts on 4th & short in opponent's territory when a 1st down can clinch the game and Ahman Green has 200 yards rushing (Eagles playoff game).

Other than that he seems ok. Is it fair to say he's good at most things except gametime decisions kinda like Herm Edwards?

[/ QUOTE ]

Sherman never stood up to Favre. He's a terrible leader. Favre made mistakes and Sherman completely excused them saying "He knows he made mistakes." Holmgrem would have benched Favre at many points during the season and that's why Holmgrem was a winner in GB and Sherman is a loser.

In game Sherman is one of the worst coaches in the league. He doesn't make good deciscions (as you pointed out) but he also wastes time outs, wastes challenges and runs stupid plays. i.e. counters on the goalline, play action on 3rd and long, draws on second and long.

During the week Sherman can't 'work the kinks out.' By that I mean, look at the number of false starts, illegal procedure and defensive holding calls. That has to fall on the head coach at some point for not having a disciplined team.
Old 01-18-2006, 04:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
For the Packers:

Draft: A.J. Hawk,

[/ QUOTE ]

*or* Mario Williams.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would rather have Hawk because I think we can pick up pretty good ends later in the draft.
Old 01-18-2006, 05:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
A) goes for it on 4th&short in FG range up by 14 in the 4th Qtr when a FG can ice the game (Vikings game last year)
B) punts on 4th & short in opponent's territory when a 1st down can clinch the game and Ahman Green has 200 yards rushing (Eagles playoff game).

Other than that he seems ok. Is it fair to say he's good at most things except gametime decisions kinda like Herm Edwards?

[/ QUOTE ]

Sherman never stood up to Favre. He's a terrible leader. Favre made mistakes and Sherman completely excused them saying "He knows he made mistakes." Holmgrem would have benched Favre at many points during the season and that's why Holmgrem was a winner in GB and Sherman is a loser.

In game Sherman is one of the worst coaches in the league. He doesn't make good deciscions (as you pointed out) but he also wastes time outs, wastes challenges and runs stupid plays. i.e. counters on the goalline, play action on 3rd and long, draws on second and long.

During the week Sherman can't 'work the kinks out.' By that I mean, look at the number of false starts, illegal procedure and defensive holding calls. That has to fall on the head coach at some point for not having a disciplined team.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for the input -
But lets not kid ourselves. Neither Holmgren nor anybody else would've or could've benched Favre.
It was like Jimmy Johnson in Miami. Maybe it would've been best to axe Marino, but it's too sacreligious - he would've been lynched for doing so.
Old 01-18-2006, 05:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for the input -
But lets not kid ourselves. Neither Holmgren nor anybody else would've or could've benched Favre.
It was like Jimmy Johnson in Miami. Maybe it would've been best to axe Marino, but it's too sacreligious - he would've been lynched for doing so.

[/ QUOTE ]

Holmgrem did bench Favre when he was in GB when Favre was making the types of mistakes he was making this year.
Old 01-18-2006, 05:32 PM

A true Packer fan. Yeah I agree with you about Sherman and Favre. I also wonder if Sherman emphasized conditioning enough. I realize that certain injuries are inevitable and maybe that's what happened this year. Also the o-line seemed to commit so many penalties. Very annoying. And Sherman really screwed things up IMO when he had the GM role. Did we hit all the problems with Sherman yet? Wonder if Walker is going to be the same receiver when he left.
Old 01-18-2006, 05:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]

4. Dump Brunell and let Campbell and Ramsey go battle royale for the starting QB job. I refuse to watch any game in which Brunell is the starter. I stopped watching the 2nd half of the Seattle game as soon as I saw his old decrepid ass trotting out to lead the offense. At that point it was done, no way was Brunell gonna lead that offense to 2 TDs, just wasn't possible...

[/ QUOTE ]

Ramsey won't be a redskin next year. Brunell may get the start, Campbell will come in very soon though.

They must get another solid receiver.
Old 01-18-2006, 05:38 PM

For the Panthers:

Find a running back that doesn't get injured every season.

Maybe we can get Reggie Bush [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 01-18-2006, 05:40 PM

For the Titans:

1. Trade picks with the Detroit Lions (taking one of the busto receivers they have) and then pick Cutler.

2. If 1 isn't an option, draft anyone but Vince Young with the 3rd pick.

Ok, a somewhat serious answer. I think the case could be made that the Titans need a player at every position except maybe linebacker, so whomever they draft in the 1st couple of rounds needs to be ready to play now. If V. Young is our pick, then we are basically giving up on the next couple of years.
Old 01-18-2006, 05:49 PM

The New York Football Giants

[ QUOTE ]

Get a secondary that doesn't include Sammy Davis.

[/ QUOTE ]

The Giants have gotten a head start on this by releasing their D-backs coach. Their secondary is the weakest part of the team. I'd like to see them trade / dump / draft to help this out the most.

#2 - Send Coughlin to "Belichick / Parcells Play Calling and Halftime Adjustments" school. Yes, I know the G-men have turned it around on his watch, and I'm grateful. But most of my Giants fan friends aren't convinced. Reminds me of Schottenheimer. This is probably his greatest weakness. Either go to school or get Hufnagel to call the plays.

#3 - keep Tim Lewis.

#4 - maybe shore up the O line some.

ScottieK