Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-10-2006, 10:18 PM

Default Re: Whole Foods: Beer choice??

[ QUOTE ]
really it depends on what style of beer you like. when you get cheap domestics, what kind of taste do you like? do you get imports like Heineken or Warsteiner ever?
do you like beer that has a fairly simple and straightforward beer taste, or do you like exotic berry flavors and such?

a list of good beers could go on for miles (and that's just the Belgium breweries.) search for beer related threads here because there have been tons in the last few months and they have appeared in several of the forums.

to start you off, something that bridges the gap pretty well between cheap domestics and "real" beer might be something like Sierra Nevada Pale Ale.

enjoy.

[/ QUOTE ]

when i get cheap domestic, i pickup sam adams/sierra nevada/saranak...and bud light.

im a big guiness drinker
lately been a japanese saporo/ichiban drinker
i like the italian light beers

got some suggestions from that?
Old 07-10-2006, 10:25 PM

Default EDIT

[ QUOTE ]
Walked into Whole Foods yesterday for the 2nd time and i keep passing by the beer section (which is quite intimidating). OOT, after the first row of typical "7-11/WahWah" beer what should I look to pick up?

thx

[/ QUOTE ]

There is a lot of beer offered there, if you havent been to WF's then this is not the thread to respond. It will just confuse everyone.

Goal of this thread is to be able to walk into WF's and just pick up a great beer. No prefrence in choice as i love all types.

thanks
Old 07-10-2006, 10:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
really it depends on what style of beer you like. when you get cheap domestics, what kind of taste do you like? do you get imports like Heineken or Warsteiner ever?
do you like beer that has a fairly simple and straightforward beer taste, or do you like exotic berry flavors and such?

a list of good beers could go on for miles (and that's just the Belgium breweries.) search for beer related threads here because there have been tons in the last few months and they have appeared in several of the forums.

to start you off, something that bridges the gap pretty well between cheap domestics and "real" beer might be something like Sierra Nevada Pale Ale.

enjoy.

[/ QUOTE ]

when i get cheap domestic, i pickup sam adams/sierra nevada/saranak...and bud light.

im a big guiness drinker

[/ QUOTE ]

You might try Three Floyd's Alpha King, or Dogfish Head 90-minute IPA.
Old 07-10-2006, 10:33 PM

Location: Who wrote \'help I\'m a bug\' on my letter to grandma?

general good breweries (all their beers are good):
pyramid
new belgium
rogue
widmer brothers
bridgeport
Old 07-10-2006, 10:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

enjoy.

[/ QUOTE ]

im a big guiness drinker

[/ QUOTE ]

first off, given your "fear" of the beer section at WF, it seems odd that you'd consider Sam Adams and/or Sierra Nevada to be "cheap domestics". odd, but good, since this probably means you're further along in your beer experience than I had assumed by your OP.

by light Italian beers, i assume you mean like a Stella Artois-ish type - good beer if you haven't tried it and fits your description. you'd probably like Belgium-style beers as well. experiment with those for sure. don't worry about specific names, just look for beer styles.

Sapporo is a beer i'm vaguely familiar with but not enough to give you good info on it so perhaps someone else will take that one.

if you're a guiness drinker you might not find as much as you'd hope at WF, as demand for stouts isn't as high as say, pale ales, so they don't stock them adequately but you're not totally out of luck.
Old Dominion is a brewing company that makes a good stout. Bell's (maker of Bell's Amber) makes a good stout as well. you ought to find at least one of those at your local store.

the thing that i usually do is just try them all - over time, of course. try a new beer every weekend and keep a list, or save a bottle from the sixer, of each one you like. then, after a month or two you have a nice little selection of beers that you know you like. the beauty of a store like WF, Woodman's, Trader Joe's, etc. is the variety so make the most of it!

enjoy.
Old 07-10-2006, 10:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
general good breweries (all their beers are good):
pyramid
new belgium
rogue
widmer brothers
bridgeport

[/ QUOTE ]

agree on all counts.
Old 07-10-2006, 10:45 PM

I need a mod to relocate this thread to mods playground.
Old 07-10-2006, 10:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]

or Dogfish Head 90-minute IPA.

[/ QUOTE ]

this is a must - if you like ultra-hoppy beer (IPA's are easily my favorite style) you'll love it. i believe they have a 120 now too, no?
Old 07-10-2006, 10:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Shiner Bock

[/ QUOTE ]

Had this for the first time when I was in Dallas a couple months ago. Pretty good stuff and it's not exactly my normal type of brew.
Old 07-10-2006, 10:47 PM

can you really find the dogfish at your standard whole foods? I can't get it at my local supermarket.