Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Gambling > Other Gambling Games
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-07-2006, 01:42 AM

Default Re: PS3 release/purchase/resell

[ QUOTE ]
No offense to anyone in this thread, but I think you are overestimating the demand there will be for the PS3 because of it's price. The market for these just isn't use to having 700+ disposable income, or spending that much on a system

[/ QUOTE ]

Your nuts. The PS3 will come out 1 year after the 360, not that much has changed in the past year.

You are underestimating the # of people who will pay top dollar for the system because A) it's coming out at xmas time and B) THE EXTREME SHORTAGE OF SYSTEMS THAT WILL BE AVAILABLE AT RELEASE.

Unless you pre-order the game or wait in line at 3 am in the cold on release date you will not get one of these until after Xmas.

The shortage of systems is intentional to create "hype and publicity" for the system.

Many of the people who pre-ordered the 360 months ahead of the release date still did not get the system until well after xmas. The release was in November some people were waiting until February for the 360 they pre-ordered in August.

I ended up with 26 360's last November and dumped them all on Ebay except for 2 which I kept 1 for myself and gave 1 to a friend who helped me aquire them all. We spend all day driving and hit 8 different cities to preoder them all. I even had my parents and my fiances parents go and preorder some systems as they were limiting 1 preorder per customer.

2 full days of driving ( 1 to prorder and 1 to pickup on release date and a 1/2 day to ship them all made me just under $10k profit

The only difference you may possibly see between the PS3 and the 360 on Ebay is the price. More people are aware of
the proifit to be made hawking them and I think you will see less of a return then youd id on the 360 but still a substantial one.
Old 07-07-2006, 02:38 AM

There are basically 3 groups that buy systems. Rich people (People from next two groups with no income restraints), gamers, parents for their children. The price of a new ps3, with accesssories + games + markup > than gamers can afford or parents will spend. However, since return policies have you covered entirely, go for it.
Old 07-07-2006, 08:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The price of a new ps3, with accesssories + games + markup > than gamers can afford or parents will spend

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok let me ask you this then. The PS2 the X-box and the 360 all came out with a price tag of around the same amount when first released, about $400 Canadian + tax for the basic system setup 1 controller no game etc. If you added on extra controllers and games you were easily in the $700 price range.(not sure what it was Priced at in the US)

If no one can afford it or is willing to pay that amount then why are they priced that high? It's because people will pay that much for them. If no one did the price would drop.

Yes, there are people out there who can't afford to pay that price or simply don't want to but it's not as many as you think. Just look at what happened at the last 2 system releases the ps2 and 360 were sold out everywhere and were not available for months after the inital release date because of the demand for them

Also just on a side note, there is almost no markup on video game systems for the retailers. The markups are made on the games and accesories. I was in the business for several years. The systems are basicly sold at cost. Even the massive chains like Walmart and specialty chains like EB games make almost nothing off of the sale of the system itself.
Old 07-08-2006, 02:07 AM

My last (and brief) reply to this thread since people are basically frerolling on this due to returns. (Hence this entire debate matters very little)

Average Paycheck for gamer at PS2 release >~= PS2 + controller + memory card + 1 game.

Average Paycheck for gamer at PS3 release <= PS3 + controller + memory card + 1 game.

Initial Demand = Rich people + Gamers with fresh paycheck

Total gamers with fresh paycheck >>>>>>>>>>>>&g t;>>> Rich people

Demand for Revolution = Demand for SSBM2 + Zelda
Old 07-08-2006, 03:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
anything new?

[/ QUOTE ]
Is anyone pre-selling these yet?
Old 07-08-2006, 12:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
anything new?

[/ QUOTE ]
Is anyone pre-selling these yet?

[/ QUOTE ]

i was told by a gamestop that they wouldn't be preselling them at all, "after what happened with the xbox360"
Old 07-08-2006, 10:59 PM

I talked with EB games they said early october.
Old 07-09-2006, 01:25 PM

There were plenty of people that paid over $1,000 for an xbox 360, why don't you think people will do the same for ps3 when it is sold out at all the stores?

I agree the ps3 is not going to be as big because of it's price, but that is not going to stop its initial release from being sold out and have the system be in very high demand for the first month or two.

Also, I think you are way off on your Nintendo Wii prediction. There is a ton of excitement out there for Nintendo, and everyone and their mother is going to buy one.
Old 07-10-2006, 09:15 PM

I called Gamestop today and they told me people that pre-order launch titles will be first on the list to pre-order PS3's. They said this wouldn't happen until October though.
Old 07-17-2006, 10:42 AM

How bad is it to have zero feedback on my ebay account before trying to sell one of these? Do I really need to have a bunch of A++++++++ in my feedback?