Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-10-2006, 03:56 AM

Default 1/2 Razz hand

Whats the line on 5th?

What if you catch an 8 on 5th? What about a 7?

Razz ($1/$2), Ante $0.20, Bring-In $0.25 (converter)

3rd Street - (1.60 SB)

Seat 1: xx xx Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 2: xx xx 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 3: xx xx K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___brings-in___folds
Seat 4: xx xx 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___calls___calls
Hero: 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___completes
Seat 6: xx xx K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 7: xx xx T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 8: xx xx 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___folds

4th Street - (4.85 SB)

Seat 2: xx xx 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 4: xx xx 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___calls
Hero: 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___bets

5th Street - (3.43 BB)

Seat 4: xx xx 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___bets
Hero: 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Old 07-10-2006, 05:44 AM

Default Re: 1/2 Razz hand

Tough hand. Any reads on the player? Assuming a rational player, you should be behind (although his limp was alittle strange on 3rd). Thus, you are drawing at a 5 or 6 for a clear win or a 7 or an 8 for a possible win. Thus, I think its fold time.
Old 07-10-2006, 05:53 AM

I just played Razz for the first time yesterday -- so take this for what it's worth (lol)-- but from the 60 hands or so I played, it seemed to me that people reacted much more quickly to a scary board than in Stud. I mean they seemed to fold almost before the person with the low board even bet! lol I was amazed. I caught on fast and actually came away with a bit of cash from that first time session (at Full Tilt). And the table changed players a lot -- so it was like playing in many diff. games -- but the reactions were consistent.
Old 07-10-2006, 03:26 PM

This one looks close. You are getting current odds of 4.4 to 1. You have 6 outs (4 5s; 2 6s), I believe that is around 6.2 to 1. If he has a 6 low you will get at least two future bets.

Think calling/folding is very close here. If he had a 7, I think its a clear call. An 8 and it looks like a value raise.

But I haven't played this game much...
Old 07-10-2006, 04:38 PM

Notwithstanding the other responses, I would call but be tempted to raise. You could well be ahead, but if not you've got the best draw. He didn't re-raise you on 3rd so he's likely to have a 7 or 8 in the hole with one low card and he may have paired. Plus all the cards you need are live, apart from his 6.
Old 07-10-2006, 04:58 PM

Any response that says to fold has to be wrong. I agree with Eddie: I'm tempted to raise, but not sure if it's correct. A call is certainly a safe okay play. Perhaps a more experienced Razz player could shed some light...
Old 07-10-2006, 06:30 PM

I think folding is absurdly weak-tight here. Even if he's paired he will make this bet 100% of the time (and if you fold 1/3rd of the time it's profitable.) If he was really strong (A234 on 4th) he should have raised somewhere.

Suppose he really does have A2 in the hole for 6432A. You are still only a 3:1 dog to win the hand. There are 4.5 big bets in the pot after his bet, so you are being laid 5.5:2 to see the river. So calling may be a mistake but it's not a huge mistake.

A made 76432, still a strong holding, is only a 1.6:1 favorite.

On the other extreme, if he has 87 in the hole it's a race, and if he has 67 you're a 1.9:1 favorite.

If he had shown strength earlier in the hand, or is an entirely straightforward and passive player, you could maybe give it up, but with the play here I think you are in good shape to see the river.
Old 07-10-2006, 08:32 PM

Seat 4 is almost always going to be an insta-bet on fifth here, no matter what hole cards s/he has. It's not impossible that you have the best hand. It's unlikely that your opponent limp-called third and check-called fourth with A2 or A5 in the hole. Unless you have a very strong read on this player, this feels like a hand which should involve calling on fifth. Against some opponents I have played, this would be an easy call-down through the river.
Old 07-10-2006, 09:32 PM

seems like bet on 3rd suggests he has a 7 or 8 or worse in the hole. He could be betting his strong board and hope you may have paired. i would not fold, but probably just call.
Old 07-11-2006, 12:12 AM

no way you can fold this hand given the villain's line through the hand. he's making the bet because he's representing the fact that he has a made hand, and is in the lead. i dont think a raise here is appropriate, but i do think you must call down because your hand is too strong in relation to the hands he would lead out with.