Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-09-2006, 08:04 PM

Location: Here I am, brain the size of a planet and I can\'t beat the 2 cent O/8 game on UB. Depressing, isn\'t it?
Default Re: Rold Slotboom PLO due out 8/15

[ QUOTE ]
It will be out mid to late August. Trust me - it's a very good book indeed.

[/ QUOTE ]

That is suffcient recomendation for me. Do you have info on his DVD's?
Old 07-09-2006, 10:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
King marc care to elaborate what articles in cardplayer have given you concerns on his strategy

[/ QUOTE ]

I haven't read Cardplayer in about five months, but when I was reading it I remember Rolf's articles weren't great/even good. I have nothing to back my statement of course, but it's just my personal opinion.
Old 07-10-2006, 03:03 AM

I've got the DVDs. They're good.

A friend of mine has been editing the Omaha book. He is a strong poker player but with almost no Omaha experience. Having gone through the book he decided to play some PLO - putting Rolf's strategies into practice - in games around the $2-$4 level. He picked up $6,000 in two weeks.....
Old 07-10-2006, 08:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
A friend of mine has been editing the Omaha book. He is a strong poker player but with almost no Omaha experience. Having gone through the book he decided to play some PLO - putting Rolf's strategies into practice - in games around the $2-$4 level. He picked up $6,000 in two weeks.....

[/ QUOTE ]

Once he crosses the $25K mark, I will keep half.

Rolf Slotboom
www.rolfslotboom.com
Old 07-10-2006, 08:09 AM

Yes, August 15 is indeed the goal. It may be a bit later that that, but I hope not - I would like the book to be released ASAP. Descriptions of the book, quotes by other players and all are available on the site of the publisher.

Best regards,
Rolf.
Old 07-10-2006, 08:35 AM

Rolf, I just saw the table of content. I was wondering, how strong is the theoretical basis in this book, the chapter-titles look more like a biography / articles-style:

* Foreword;
* About the book;
* Chapter 1... My Years In Vienna: On my way to a renewing and groundbreaking strategy;
* Chapter 2... Back In Amsterdam: Facing some of the best PLO players on a daily basis - and beating them.
* Chapter 3... Moving up to the biggest online games;
* Chapter 4... Playing online: Adjustments for shorthanded play;
* Chapter 5... Practice Hands;
* Chapter 6... Hand Match-ups & Analysis;
* Chapter 7... Classic Articles;
* Glossary.

Could you tell us a bit more about the topic you will discuss?
Old 07-10-2006, 10:13 AM

Hi Jourdain,

The book starts out with a couple of chapters on the background behind my strange / unorthodox / unconentional playing style that I started with, and that I have tried to adjust / perfect with every new step and new game that I encountered. In these chapters I describe the EXACT strategies I have been using over the years, why I have been using them, and the pros and cons behind these strategies. On all occasions, I describe how I have adjusted, and how the reader should possibly adjust, when people take countermeasures against the seemingly simple strategies that I recommend. All in all, I will indeed talk a lot about myself (a trait I just cannot help), but in this case this is more because in EVERY game / place where I started playing, no one was using the strategies / approach that I was using - meaning my strategy was often based on first) exploiting the mistakes that opponents regularly made, then) adjusting to the adjustments that opponents were starting to make, and finally) shifting to an entirely new approach once within the framework of this game it was impossible to keep a large edge with my initial strategies.

The chapters on specific strategic issues are the largest, and I go out of my way to explain specifically the merits of 'my' plays, and how you should take advantage of the fact that people will NOT think highly of this way that you play. All in all, this book is more in-depth than basically anything that I have written so far, and I can honestly say that I give away everything that I have always tried to keep to myself. I have always been a bit reluctant to spell out everything EXACTLY to my readers when it comes to PLO, simply because it is still my bread-and-butter game, AND because my strategies are fairly easy to copy for anyone who is capable of thinking at at least a decent level. I have decided to do it anyway, frankly for nut much more than just the honor of writing the (what I hope to be) best PLO book to date. However, from a money-making perspective, this choice is obviously not too smart, because I have held back NOTHING - meaning I have put my entire game plan out in the open, and thus I may have killed my own game plan, simply because my regular opponents can and will use everything that I have written against me.

So yes, biased as I am, I would say the theoretical basis in the book is VERY strong. And indeed I have tried to make things a pleasure to read by maintaining a fairly fast, article-like writing style, focusing on every apect / specific aspect of my strategies in a separate way. But I hope that this has not gone at the expense of the quality of the information.

Anyway, that's about it. For the rest I can only say that if you check out Amazon, you see the book is priced (what I judge to be) ridiculously low for the type of information it provides. So, based on this alone I am certain that you will not be disappointed by the book in any way - even though I expect, and quite frankly hope, that there will be many passages in the book that you will find strange and unconventional: strategies that go almost 100% against what is perceived by many as correct.

Rolf Slotboom
www.rolfslotboom.com
Old 07-12-2006, 05:09 AM

Thank you for your explanation Rolf [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 07-12-2006, 04:45 PM

Rolf is the book totally PLO or is there some PLO8 in it also?
Old 07-12-2006, 06:44 PM

As some here has suggested I too was not a fan of Rolf's writings at Cardplayer, sometimes it was due to strategical differences, and at other times I think it may have been because English is probably a second language for Rolf.

Then I read most (I never finished it I must admit) of Hold'em on the Come which changed my opinion of his work. I no longer view Rolf as a weak tight nitty player, and his writing style is now greatly improved (possibly due to his partnership with Dew Mason).

Most recently I purchased Rolf's Expert Hold'em series of 4 DVD's, which further enhanced my respect for Rolf's work. Its an excellent work, focusing on the transition of limit players to NL games (and on DVD focusing on the opposite direction). The topics covered remind me of what I would expect Small Stakes NL from Ed Miller & crew to be like, and the overall production & sound quality is greatly improved from Ed's DVD.

In short, I'm really looking forward to Rolf's PLO book. If he was able to pull it off with his prior to projects, and PLO is his #1 game, then I think its safe to assume that Rolf will provide us all with the definitive PLO book of the decade. I'm really impressed with Rolf's growth over the past few years, I can't wait to see what he does next.

TT [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]