Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-09-2006, 02:06 PM

Default Ed.

I'm posting this in OOT so that people will see it. I know Ed and Elaine have forsworn the forums, OOT in particular, but screw that noise. Mods, if you want to move this I'm sure you will.

I've never had a real conversation with Ed Miller. I've been introduced to him in Vegas a couple times, but we apparently don't have much to say to each other. Whatever.

When I registered here a couple years ago, the limit hold'em forums were run by a small group of very good players. Their discussions and arguments were the ones that mattered, and they'd already formulated a lot of what became the "2+2 ABCs".

Ed (then Major Kong) was already tailing off his posting by the time I arrived, but he was clearly near the top of the respect heap, and then his forum name changed and he was suddenly an official 2+2 writer guy. It was surprising but not shocking. Ed got plucked out of the crowd for the precision of his thinking on the game, and the clarity with which he could explain it.

I think I'm not alone in finding SSHE the most readable of the 2+2 strategy tomes. D. Sklansky and M. Malmuth seem like decent guys and are obviously sharp like sunshine, but Ed's contributions seemed to lighten and open the tone of the writing, and SSHE broke the opacity of certain thick parts of previous 2+2 books. It was a really good book, and riding the crest of World Mastership of Poker broadcasts, 2+2 kind of exploded.

I'll take some credit and some blame for helping flood the hold'em forums with hands to discuss. On the one hand, there were a lot of hands to talk about. On the other, the converter format allowed everybody to spam everybody with every readless monotonous crap hand they ever played. In any case, there were a lot of posts and a lot of dedicated posters doing solid roughtoughery in the trenches. Ed had helped create that culture of intelligent poker criticism, along with ElD (then Ulysses), Clark, JTG, not Sfer, StellarWind, joe tall, astroglide, and a dozen others whose names unfortunately escape me as I write this.

It made a lot of us a lot of money, and it was fun and challenging for a bunch of underemployed youngish guys who were looking to get really skilled at something.

I stopped playing and I went away for half a year and when I came back, limit hold'em seemed to have faded some, and all the good posters I knew were doing their best to either just put in the hours and post in OOT or playing no-limit or playing tourneys.

The era had mainly muddled to a halt, though I'm sure small stakes has its stalwarts. And then some ridiculous OOT stuff seemed to have sealed the deal.

Let me be absolutely clear about all the recent OOT drama - I don't care either way about ElaineMonster. She showed up while I was on sabbatical and I never really noticed her posts. I mean, I'm sure I read a lot of them, but it never added up to a person I had an opinion about.

It's all been entertaining and I've egged it on, but I felt like making a post that recognized that Ed helped make 2+2 valuable to me. He wasn't the be all and end all of anything, and I'm sure a semblance of his contributions would have come from other posters, but he certainly did his part.

Thanks Ed.
Old 07-09-2006, 02:12 PM

Default Re: Ed.

[ QUOTE ]
I'm posting this in OOT so that people will see it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Unvalid excuse.
Old 07-09-2006, 02:12 PM

Well said bison. It is funny how quickly people forget what this forum is about and what its roots are - or maybe they never learned. Great history lesson and well put thank you.

viva la resistance!
Old 07-09-2006, 02:13 PM

Good post BisonBison.
Old 07-09-2006, 02:15 PM

Unvalid excuse.

It's not an excuse. It's an explanation.

When I write well, I can post wherever the hell I want.
Old 07-09-2006, 02:16 PM

Old 07-09-2006, 02:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I'm posting this in OOT so that people will see it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Unvalid excuse.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's invalid btw, if we're gonna be nitty and all.
Old 07-09-2006, 02:19 PM

p.s. i'm having a problem with the hand converter. am i supposed to set it to IRC, FTR, 2+2 or what?? It makes no sense to me. Why doesn't it work when on 2+2 when i have it set to FTR? Hoping you can help!
Old 07-09-2006, 02:23 PM

p.s. i'm having a problem with the hand converter. am i supposed to set it to IRC, FTR, 2+2 or what?? It makes no sense to me. Why doesn't it work when on 2+2 when i have it set to FTR? Hoping you can help!

Let me get right on that.
Old 07-09-2006, 02:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Let me get right on that.

[/ QUOTE ]

i'm sure you miss those days. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]