Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-06-2006, 07:23 PM

Default A choice between two books

If you had a choice of only one of these books: The Sklansky book on Tourmanent Play for Advanced Players or his new book on No Limit Holdem, which one would you choose and why? Thanks
Old 07-06-2006, 07:47 PM

Default Re: A choice between two books

I would choose NLHTP (No-Limit Hold'em Theory & Practice). Because I already own TPFAP. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Seriously... because I think NLHTP will do more for my NL game. It will provide more for all aspects of no-limit hold'em. TPFAP is a good book, but between the two... I like my chances with NLHTP. My copy should be here soon.
Old 07-06-2006, 07:53 PM

It depends on your reason for buying the book. The TPAP is a tourney specific book. I truly loved the book given the concepts it introduced to my game (Gap Theory, etc). This new book although it includes tourney concepts at some points, it is not specifically a tourney book (thank God since the market is flooded with Tourney Books). The NLHT&P is for NL Hold'Em (both cash games and some tourney games). It addresses optimum betting strategies among other topics. I have read both books (but need to reread and reread the newest) and both books should be included in the library of every serious player.

ThreeBeers
Old 07-06-2006, 08:54 PM

threebeers: I'm primarily interested in tournament play. The problem I have with the book of T play for advanced players is that it's not no limit specific and from what I saw in the book store, it hardly dealt with holdem at all. If the new book is mostly for cash games then I'll avoid tht one too.

To tell you the truth, I've never had luck with the Sklansky books which I started reading years ago when I played limit. I should probably just re-read my three Harrington books over and over and over until I really absorb everything he says. thanks
Old 07-06-2006, 08:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I should probably just re-read my three Harrington books over and over and over until I really absorb everything he says.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's not a bad idea.
Old 07-06-2006, 10:12 PM

Definitely, the New NO limit book, its amazing... I've read it twice already! Love it to death.
Old 07-07-2006, 09:23 AM

If you're primarily interested in tourney play then I'd start with TPFAP. That being said I think eventually you'll need to have them both.
Old 07-09-2006, 07:17 AM

if you have the harrington books already i'd go for NLHT&P as alot of the concepts in TPFAP is addressed in the Harrington books, eventually you really should pick up TPFAPs