Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-18-2006, 07:21 AM

Default Re: Struggling mightily with the transition from .50/1 to 1/2

Your postflop aggression numbers are very low, which is strange, because your preflop numbers are not passive. The reason for your low winnings is probably from missed value bets. Too much check-calling etc. It looks like you're not squeezing enough money out when you're ahead.
Old 01-18-2006, 08:31 AM

your VPIP is pretty low, so you are playing quite tight, that is most likely because of the 4 tables that you are playing... why dont you try and cut down the amt of tables to two, get comfortable and then start building up to 4 tables, I struggled in the beginning as well, worked on my game and eventually things started going my way... play 6-max, if you are a good player, you'll make more money

thats my input for you...other then that, re-read SSHE, go over your HH and post here, it really does help
Old 01-18-2006, 11:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
1/2 has been an absolute disaster so far.

The problem is, I really don't think I've been playing bad.

I'm not saying my game is perfect, but I feel like I play what should be well enough to at least break even at this level...I'm a proven winner at .50/1 (over 3.5 BB/100), I've read SSHE, HPFAP is on the way...I play mostly Party and some Stars, maybe 70% full ring and 30% SH.

My VPIP is 18.73, W$WSF 30.6, WTSD% 32.29, and W$SD 53.28, over 7600 hands. PFR% is 10.53. My winrate is -3.54 BB/100.

I KNOW this is a small sample size, and I know it partly/mostly could just be due to variance, don't need anyone to tell me that, but I'd like to quit hemhorraging money, so any thoughts/suggestions are welcome. It seems like I never have a winning session (and by session I mean a ~600-hand session 4-tabling). I wouldn't worry about a streak like this much at .50/1 where I know I can win, but I haven't had ANY success at 1/2.

Luckily I've been playing for bonuses and playing some NL and some tournaments so my bankroll isn't shot. I'm still playing on an $800 bankroll.

[/ QUOTE ]

I had a similar experience. I ran at over 7BB/100 for like 15K hands at .5/1. So I thought I was ready to move up. Coincidentally that happened when my bankroll was big enough (for my taste) to move to Party from Paradise. I played for 45 days at the Beginners tables at Party 1/2. I thought it would be a nice transition. For about 10K hands there I ran at ~6-7BB/100. Then the party ended.

When I moved from the beginners tables to the regular tables at Party I got crushed. Over 5K hands I lost at ~7BB/100. I decided to go back to .50/1 to see if I could beat it. No problem, still winning at .50/1. Lately Ive been playing .50/1 6max and crushing it for ~6BB/100. I'm contemplating a move back to 1/2 but not sure how I feel about it yet. I may go straight to 1/2 6max.

It seems to me (and from other threads that I have read) that a lot of people struggle from .50/1 to 1/2 becasue that is where most sites introduce 6max (paradise etc). All the fish and LAGs go to the 6max tables and the 1/2 tables tend to be pretty tight. Now I am not saying that the 1/2 is tighter than say 20/40, just that the jump in tightness is a real speed bump. The average pot sizes are on par with the 6max pot sizes. That seems out of wack to me. When you open up party many times the tables with the biggest pots are short handed tables.

Anyways, I think my plan may be to play 1/2 6max (I really think that 6max is helping my game at full ring and also it is fun as hell) and then move straight to 2/4 full (since I think that party doesnt offer 6max at 2/4). Another poster mentioned this path and I think it seems reasonable. Plus the games at 1/2 on party suck. They are filled with small pots and guys who like to wait until the river to raise.

Good Luck,
Greg