Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-05-2006, 08:27 PM

Default Re: High Stakes Poker players playing beyond their means?

[ QUOTE ]
I thought it was spelled Badugi. Last time I saw a placcard for it at least that's how it was spelled.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have to look it up each time I have to spell it. I end up going to an online article that mike l. showed me during a home game (a bunch of 2+2ers at my place during Game 1 of the 2004 WSOP). It's spelled Padooki there.

However, Wikipedia lists it as Badugi and notes it is also known as Badougi or Padooki.

Badugi does seem to be the more common usage. I should probably start using that.
Old 07-05-2006, 08:53 PM

Badugi is the right way to spell it.. played these games way back in South Korea.
Old 07-08-2006, 05:01 AM

ANYBODY KNOW WHAT SAMMI DOES BESIDES POKER
Old 07-08-2006, 05:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Blackjack
Old 07-08-2006, 09:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

From his website:

[ QUOTE ]
Sam was born in Beirut, Lebanon, where he showed an early talent for games of skill and chance. As a teen-ager, he excelled at Pac-Man, pinball, and pool, and he learned to make money on all three. He once played a single game of Pac-Man for $5,000, and his skill at pinball garnered him the cover of a Lebanese magazine.

At that time, however, it did not seem reasonable to Sam (or his father) to make a living as a gambler. Sam moved to the United States in 1977 to attend the University of Kansas, where he graduated with a degree in Business Administration.

He moved to Houston, Texas after graduating, where he worked several jobs before he found his true calling at a poker table, playing with friends for fifty cents a hand. With poker, Sam's interest in gaming re-emerged.

He began playing with his friends more often, and at higher stakes. He soon made his first trip to Las Vegas, where he turned $2,000 to $7,000. The learning process was gradual, but Sam steadily improved his game. After four years of playing, Sam felt he was good enough to quit his job and invest his money, and his future, in poker. He was right.

In 1996 Sam Farha won the Pot-Limit Omaha championship at the World Series of Poker and came in second in 2002. Last May, Sam took second place at the WSOP's No Limit Texas Hold 'Em Championship.

His aggressive and unpredictable style of play, based upon his ability to read and intimidate his opponents, has changed the way the game is played. He is recognized internationally as a renowned gambler, and at poker tables everywhere as a winner.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 07-08-2006, 05:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Blackjack

[/ QUOTE ]

and hot hookers
Old 07-08-2006, 06:14 PM

what is the going rate for hot hookers in Vegas?
Old 07-08-2006, 08:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

this post is a real downer.
if you know what i mean.
Old 07-08-2006, 08:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

My impression is that really only Daniel, Freddy Deeb (season 1), Barry G, Doyle and son, and Farha look like they're in their element and we already know that this is chump change for Jerry Buss.

[/ QUOTE ]

Forrest, Chan, Harmon and Elezra are also high stakes players. Not sure about Alaai (how the heck do you spell his last name? I'm too lazy to check) but I think he is. I believe Tran also plays at the high stakes. Not sure about Sheiky. It's funny how some people think Harmon is out of her league when she has regularly played and won in the highest stake games in the world.

Antonio and Laak are obviously playing out of their comfort level. They are young guys who have some bankroll but nowheres near enough to regularly play these kind of stakes. Same with Grinder and Hellmuth. Matusow, well, better if we just don't go there. I'm sure I forgot some people who played.

[/ QUOTE ]

Grinder won like $3.2 million last year and Hellmuth probably makes at least half of that not even playing poker. So, I don't think the game was above their bankroll but I do not know how often those two play at those cash game stakes (maybe that was your point?).
Old 07-09-2006, 12:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Do all of the guys (and Jennifer) that have been on HSP regularly play at this level or are some playing way over their heads?

My impression is that really only Daniel, Freddy Deeb (season 1), Barry G, Doyle and son, and Farha look like they're in their element and we already know that this is chump change for Jerry Buss.

But why is a cooch doctor and restaurantuer from Chicago risking so much money? I can't believe either of them have a net worth of over $5 mil which means they are staking at least 2% of their entire net worth in a game in which every player at the table is better than them.

In addition, is it out of the question that Antonio and Laak are pooling their bankroll together and dividing the net? Antonio is awfully happy go lucky for a guy that kept losing with his premium pocket pairs while Laak didn't seem too overjoyed with his $190k bounty.

When are they going to get rid of that stiff dog commentator opposite of Mr. Kotter? Where is he from anyway?

Lastly, how does the Game Show network compensate the players?

[/ QUOTE ]

1. I think some of them are playing over their heads. Maybe some of them want airtime. Maybe they're only 30% to have a nice showing on HSP, but if they do, they could parlay the win into a endorsement of some kind, or a better one than they currently have if they already have one. As for Chamenara et al. I don't know.

2. AJ Benza came from hell to punish poker players.

3. Gabe Kaplan looks like a frog.

4. I heard they got compensated $1400/hr (about one round of blinds/antes). Not reliable though, just a rumor.