Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-07-2006, 08:22 PM

Default Re: WSOP Drug Testing

They should also be able to pass the President's Physical Fitness tests. It is a sport after all.

http://www.presidentschallenge.org/e...ness_test.aspx
Old 07-07-2006, 08:29 PM

Adderol would be a great drug to use while at the poker table, however some people actually do need it..
Old 07-07-2006, 08:59 PM

but adderol doesn't work if only taken once, right? i mean, you need to be taking it for a month at least before the chemicals begin to take their effect..

not that it wouldn't help, if only slightly, but adderol isn't a pill that you can pop and the effects are immediate...

also, this thread is pretty dumb.

what's the difference between mike m. sniffing 3 bumps in the bathroom and men the master drinking a budweiser? are the opponent's cards somehow projected into your mind if you drink a beer or snort a line??
Old 07-08-2006, 12:46 AM

WORST POST EVER!
Old 07-08-2006, 01:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
WORST POST EVER!

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 07-08-2006, 02:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
but adderol doesn't work if only taken once, right? i mean, you need to be taking it for a month at least before the chemicals begin to take their effect..

not that it wouldn't help, if only slightly, but adderol isn't a pill that you can pop and the effects are immediate...

also, this thread is pretty dumb.

what's the difference between mike m. sniffing 3 bumps in the bathroom and men the master drinking a budweiser? are the opponent's cards somehow projected into your mind if you drink a beer or snort a line??

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not positive if this is a joke or not, so if it is and I completely missed it...I guess I'm going to look stupid.

However if you're serious... then no, you're completely wrong. ADDERALL (or a similar class of drug) would work the first time. There are certain other types of ADHD meds that take awhile to reach their peak effectiveness, which is probably what you're thinking. However, methylphenidate (adderall/ritalin) is not one.

The difference between someone railing coke in the bathroom (or probably more intelligently, taking Ritalin/Adderall/Provigil etc) and Men the Master downing Buds, is that stimulants would help to maintain focus and concentration over long periods of time, whereas alcohol has the opposite effect. If you believe that say, making informed and well thought-out decisions in poker is important, then having extra focus would be considered a good thing. Most people generally have a certain amount of built-in mental stamina, beyond which their decisions and calculations suffer.
As far as I know, neither product allows hole cards to be projected into your mind. But I may be wrong.
Old 07-08-2006, 03:33 PM

Drug-testing would be unnecessary, Arb. Really, why do it? Advertisers and broadcasters probably only care at the point at which the on-air product suffers, and a coked-out player might be more unpredictable and therefore more entertaining. Any other bad behavior can be taken care of with careful editing. I also think that players being under the influence is not obvious to the average person via the TV screen. I mean, I have an average familiarity with drugged out persons and have never seen someone playing in a poker tournament on TV that I thought was clearly stoned or otherwise f'd up.

[edit]OK, Stu Ungar, 98' WSOP, but besides that.
Old 07-10-2006, 09:26 PM

Default Re: Wheres the wisdom

[ QUOTE ]
What about other drugs like adderal(sp?) that increase your focus? While i think its inpractical and extremely unlikely for drug testing to happen, i would hate to think that after 8 days of playing the main event i would be at a disadvantage because i didn't take an illegal drug to help me stay focused.

[/ QUOTE ]

While adderall increases your concentration it also increases nervous facial tics and slows down mathematical thinking. You'll come to a right answer more often but you'll be slower at coming to your conclusions and you're face will light up like a billboard. Any top notch player will pick up on all the tells you give off while on speed.

There's no such thing as a mental performance enhancing drug. While some (like adderall or even LSD in the right individual) increase your thought process they bring down other parts of your game. There's no need to ban drugs in poker. Fun as they can be they flat out don't help you.

Just compare Stu Unger's play sober to his play while high.
Old 07-10-2006, 09:47 PM

Default Re: Wheres the wisdom

We also need to ban people that play poorly. They ruin the image of the game.
Old 07-12-2006, 09:33 AM

caffeine is legitimate even in sports