Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-07-2006, 02:07 PM

Default Steal gone bad. 100NL 6max

I just sat down to this table, no reads/stats. I tried to take pot down with a cbet on the flop but villain called. Turn brought some more outs so I fired 2nd barrel. River is somewhat confusing tho... I have a bad habit to call these, what would you do?

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ Hero (5 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

UTG ($87.65)
MP ($17.40)
Button ($104.03)
SB ($103.84)
Hero ($99)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. SB posts a blind of $0.50.
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Button calls $1, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $3</font>, Button calls $3.

Flop: ($8.50) A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $6</font>, Button calls $6.

Turn: ($20.50) 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $10</font>, Button calls $10.

River: ($40.50) 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $15</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises to $45</font>, Hero ??
Old 07-07-2006, 02:31 PM

Default Re: Steal gone bad. 100NL 6max

bet more on turn and river, at least 2/3 pot. If you're going to run a semi-bluff, run it like you had a big ace, so depending on how much you would bet w/ AK/AQ, bet the same amount here. I think you are obligated to call that river just based on the weak bet you put out there. What did he have 68?
Old 07-07-2006, 02:35 PM

Yea that weak bet made me call there. I realized that bet was a mistake the moment I got reraised. I usually bet that 1/2pot bet on the turn when I have a hand like AJ OOP on a situation like this. Is that a mistake?
Old 07-07-2006, 02:39 PM

If you're in the BB and the button limps and you have a hand that you feel like raising, raise more than 3xBB!
Old 07-07-2006, 03:09 PM

I don't really understand why you're trying to steal from the big blind. I would just check and then keep the pot under control.

As played, I think you absolutely have to call that river bet. You bet out so weakly, he almost had to raise you with ATC.
Old 07-07-2006, 03:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't really understand why you're trying to steal from the big blind. I would just check and then keep the pot under control.

As played, I think you absolutely have to call that river bet. You bet out so weakly, he almost had to raise you with ATC.

[/ QUOTE ]

raising an guy who open limps the button is pretty standard IMO

i agree with the bet more comments, and because you didnt, pay off the river
Old 07-07-2006, 03:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you're in the BB and the button limps and you have a hand that you feel like raising, raise more than 3xBB!

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah no kidding. 4 or 5 to go is probably better. If you're betting 3 you have pretty much no chance of winning the pot so dont call it a "steal." That's not really as important as the other mistakes though.

Your flop play is fine. You bet he calls we read A although lots of times people call with weird crap at this level. On the turn if you're giong to be bet more. IMO, one thing most players can benefit from here is realizing that if you're going to make a bet, make strong bets. Bet 2/3-3/4 of pot most of the time you make any bet, whether you're bluffing or value betting. It puts more pressure on people to make folds and make mistakes, and when people see you doing it often you'll start to win more on your value bets.

Should you bet the turn at all? Maybe, but I don't like it all that much. The argument for is that sometimes he's just being an idiot and will fold, and even against naked aces you have 5+4+9=18 outs, and hell you might even get some players to fold this hand, though not often at these stakes.

Just keep in mind no one's folding a small ace for half pot. You just look scared.

The argument against betting here is that you're out of positino and never getting called by a worse hand. Also, now you're building a pot in a potentially dangerous spot. In the event that he does have a big hand, he might slowplay/continue to slowplay and put you to a tough decision on the river, especially if you improve, which you did. The most underrated concepts in small stakes NLHE, IMO, are pot control and strong betting. YOu screwed up both, no offense. Pot control in this case encompasses positional concerns. Dont build huge pots out of position. While I tend to be very aggressive, I kind of like a check on the turn, then evaluate. Plan to call smaller bets understanding that you're on a draw, and check rivers that dont complete a straight or flush.

So anyway on the river you bet 1/3 of pot? Is this a blocking bet? If, as played, you meant that 15 as a blocking bet, then it was your plan all along to fold to a raise. But I know what you're thinking. that seems awfully weak.

Generally, just make a strong bet here or check. The problem with betting the turn is there's a good chance you built a big pot en route to improving to a very strong second-best hand. The way you played this is why you're about to get stacked. If you're afraid, I guess you can bet 22 or so for half pot and fold to a raise. As played I can't really see how you're going to fold. I suppose, since you're posting, you called and got shown 68. That sucks, but think more about controlling the pot with one pair hands . The biggest things to remember are that (1) players at 100NL think a pair of aces is the nuts, (2) a pair of aces is his most likely read, but he can also have a set or straight, (3) your pair of sevens is behind all of the hands from (2) and is drawing to beat them. Invest your money when you're ahead.

Long and a little convoluted, but i hope it helps.
Old 07-07-2006, 03:48 PM

Thanks for the replys, especially ThePortuguee with good points which I need to think more. Hopefully I learned something from this hand where about everything went wrong [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]. Villain had me dominated here.