Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-07-2006, 12:50 PM

Default Keys to a Successful Complaint Letter

I recently received some subpar service at a local grocery store, and wish to make my displeasure known. After working in retail for many years, especially in a position to read a lot of 'complaint' letters, I have only come to realize two things:

1- What not to write (how much money you spend there, how the person in question should be fired, free stuff etc etc)
2- No one actually cares about these on the store level

So what are my best options? To write the store and head office? Is this just a waste of time? Do you write many angry letters?
Old 07-07-2006, 12:53 PM

Default Re: Keys to a Successful Complaint Letter

wtf is "subpar" service at a local grocery store? She charged you for $25.02 instead of $25?
Old 07-07-2006, 12:59 PM

Well, I've never worked in a grocery store, but I was a restaurant manager for a couple of years, and we received complaint letters from time to time.

If your goal is to enact some fundamental change in the workings of that store, you're probably [censored] out of luck. Now, if you send a mean letter to the corporate office and it so happens that many others are doing the same, then they might fire the manager or something. But one letter isn't really going to accomplish anything.

You will probably get some free [censored] however.

But on to my more pressing concern. How do you receive subpar service at a grocery store? I don't think I say one word to anyone except "plastic" and "thanks" when I'm in the store, so I can't imagine anything happening that would piss me off so much I wanted to write a letter.
Old 07-07-2006, 01:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
wtf is "subpar" service at a local grocery store? She charged you for $25.02 instead of $25?

[/ QUOTE ]

I bought some cherries, which were priced at $8.88/kg. I was charged $11/kg, something I realized after I went through the till. I went to customer service where I asked for an adjustment.

I think this policy works in the US too, but in Canada, we use a 'scanning code of practice' which means if a price differs on a pricetag and at the till, you get the first item (up to $10) for free, or $10 off items above that.

The customer service lady refunded me the difference, but when I told her I wanted my cherries for free, she told me "that's now how that policy works, HONEY" and to come back tomorrow to see a manager.

I did, and when I arrived, the same lady was there. I told her I was back and could I have my money. She said "It's not our problem," and that "all the managers have gone home". Luckily, I had called earlier to confirm someone was there, and when she said that I said "actually, I think Mr XXX is here, I'd like to speak to him", thus calling her bluff.

So this woman not only was condescending, she also wasted my time and lied to me, as well as did not understand a policy her company had. I'm a little peeved; what are the chances of getting gift certificates after writing a strongly worded letter, I wonder?
Old 07-07-2006, 01:02 PM

Demand to see the manager. Always threaten to go higher up on the scale and pretend you're more important than you are.

If it's a big deal, threaten to use a PR service or newspaper to get the word out on the agregious offenses being commited.
Old 07-07-2006, 01:05 PM

Why did you want the cherries for free anyway? I mean, I can understand being pissed if the lady was a bitch, but honestly. You orginally intended to pay for the cherries, the register/cashier jacked up, and they fixed it. Big deal.
Old 07-07-2006, 01:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Why did you want the cherries for free anyway? I mean, I can understand being pissed if the lady was a bitch, but honestly. You orginally intended to pay for the cherries, the register/cashier jacked up, and they fixed it. Big deal.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's policy for a reason. I'd prefer to get my cherries for free if there was a real mistake, especially if they knew about, like she implied and it wasn't fixed at the till when I went through. It may seem petty, but I only really got mad when she started to refuse to apply the policy or recognize how it worked.
Old 07-07-2006, 01:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I recently received some subpar service at a local grocery store, and wish to make my displeasure known. After working in retail for many years, especially in a position to read a lot of 'complaint' letters, I have only come to realize two things:

1- What not to write (how much money you spend there, how the person in question should be fired, free stuff etc etc)

So what are my best options? To write the store and head office? Is this just a waste of time? Do you write many angry letters?

[/ QUOTE ]

you have way too much free time.
Old 07-07-2006, 01:08 PM

Make sure you get and write down the names of everyone that is rude or unhelpful and make sure they know you've got their names.
Old 07-07-2006, 01:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

you have way too much free time.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not enough if I haven't ever written a complaint letter before.