Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Two Plus Two > MOD DISCUSSION
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-06-2006, 04:13 PM

Default Re: This website and why I love [censored]

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I think that you're letting the enjoyment you get from the drama that [censored] creates bias your opinion of him as a moderator. It's possible to effectively moderate OOT without stirring up trouble and being a c[/i]unt. But if you want a total misanthrope to continue to degrade this website, so be it; I've said my piece.

[/ QUOTE ]

Isn't this helpful. Thank you.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
So think about this stuff and get back to me.

[/ QUOTE ]

I got the impression that you wanted our opinions. I also got the impression from your thoughts on the nature of humanity that you think that [censored]'s tactics are necessary for the moderation of OOT. I was merely stating (rather tersely) that I disagree with that view and will now cite astroglide, your example of an effective moderator, as evidence that such tactics aren't necessary.
Old 07-06-2006, 04:19 PM

A few thoughts.

wrt astro/[censored], basically the difference was just message and not actions. I basially agree with Jason, I just wish my dear little friend would be more diplomatic at times because sometimes his message gets lost in between the pounding of his fists of fury.

Sniper- My only comment is that I think sometimes you try and do too much at once, and have badly misread a few posts and it did reflect badly on you. "drive slow homey".

[censored]- I think you probably could be a little more receptive to people being critical of you. It's not fun when every conversation turns into a slap fight.
Old 07-06-2006, 04:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
wrt astro/[censored], basically the difference was just message and not actions.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is what I meant. Did it not come out that way?
Old 07-06-2006, 04:28 PM

I think it did, but it got masked by the fact that you went to the effort to bypass the swear filter, which kinda distracted from the message of your post.
Old 07-06-2006, 04:32 PM

Mat, I mostly agree with your sentiments here. I have a tangential question: If you think that it is pointless to try to stop people from saying mean things and to try to impose restrictions to force people to be "nice" then why do we have a profanity filter?
Old 07-06-2006, 04:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think it did, but it got masked by the fact that you went to the effort to bypass the swear filter, which kinda distracted from the message of your post.

[/ QUOTE ]

lol
Old 07-06-2006, 04:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The only way to keep people under control around here, in my experience, is to make absolute demands and to stick with them. People are [censored]. They really are. Especially on the internet. Even the nice ones. Nobody. No moderator. Not me. Not Mason. Not you. Nobody is going to change this fundamental fact.

[/ QUOTE ]

I hope you are wrong but you have always been spot on in the past.

I think the exact opposite. All people are good they just act stupid sometimes myself included. Give them a reason to be good and they will. I agree you can't tell or ask them to act good. You show them how and they just decide to do it. Give them no reason or a reason to be bad and look out.

I really think you get what you project. I feel I am treated much differently than some of the other people here. Some of the meanest people here are very nice to me. No one has ever attacked me that I can remember. They tell me when I am wrong yes but they never try and hurt my feelings. Or do I just have a thick skin? Unlikely but I certainly don't take this place as seriously as others seem to.

I like the way [censored] deals with the tough cases. Some people need that. But he is mean to everyone and frankly some people don't seem able to understand they are not being treated badly. It is the internet [censored] can't hurt anyone they don't get this. Some people get offended much to easy imo. But we need to understand this and treat these people differently or we are only going to have one type of person here and that would be sad. The same rules apply to everyone but we need to learn how to interact differently with people depending on the type of person we are dealing with. Isn't this just common sense?

People think I am nice but I am only nice till someone does something I consider not nice. Then I fight as dirty as anyone as it is important to win when fighting people that are not nice. But we seem to feel we must also win the fights with the harmless, stupid, unaware, and silly? Why because we view any loss as a failure? Sometimes you have to lose because winning just isn't worth it. I am sure no one is getting this no one ever gets me but I always get along with everyone on and off the internet. It is not luck you have to try.

Tony was mean to a point some got a little worried.
Elaine never scared anyone.

Who is still here and who is gone. We won?

rayzee said...

source

[ QUOTE ]
voluntarily clean it up. there is no reason for some of those posts out there or replies. it is the replies that really get raunchy and should be dealt with.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 07-06-2006, 04:38 PM

I think there's a meaningful difference between an expectation of "nice" and outright flaming and arguments that derail threads.

I don't think it's fair to assume that people are going to always be friendly and respectful in this environment. I do think it's fair to ask that when they disagree, they keep the idiocy to a dull roar. Of course, it's very hard to take that last statement and define exactly where that line falls.

To me, that's one of the big dividing lines between good/bad mods. Sometimes it means we have to step in it first, and once we see the reaction, we learn to scale back and find a more appropriate measure. I know that happened for me when I was first modding.
Old 07-06-2006, 04:41 PM

The Lounge shows at least some people appreciate a forum that enforces respect and being SFW.
Old 07-06-2006, 04:50 PM

Mat,
that was a nice post about [censored].

To the others who say that [censored] + co don't enforce policies consistently, I compare it to the police catching speeders. We don't see everything, so we can't enforce everything. I give the benefit of the doubt to many quality strategy posters, for example Nate tha' great posting a leather sofa thread about 6 hours after a different leather couch thread was started, however his was kept unlocked which i am sure he appreciated. If it was johnny oot, then it probably would have been locked.

Also, since i can't read every thread, we rely on the notify mod button.
[ QUOTE ]

voluntarily clean it up. there is no reason for some of those posts out there or replies. it is the replies that really get raunchy and should be dealt with.

[/ QUOTE ]
Since june 26, I have gotten 44 notify mod responses. Only 9 have been in response to replies in threads. 20 were in response to spammers. The other 16 were in response to new threads. Considering the number of posts OOT gets, that isn't really a lot of notifications. Obviously if the posters wanted stuff cleaned up, they would hit the notify mod button more often, but they don't.