Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-06-2006, 08:49 AM

Default I can\'t believe people oppose embryonic stem-cell research...

I mean, how [censored] stupid and how [censored] cruel do you have to be to oppose medical advances that could save millions of lives, restore hope to millions more, and cure countless diseases because a few cells that are nowhere near the point of being capable of feeling pain have to die?
Old 07-06-2006, 09:51 AM

Default Re: I can\'t believe people oppose embryonic stem-cell research...

[ QUOTE ]
I mean, how [censored] stupid and how [censored] cruel do you have to be to oppose medical advances that could save millions of lives, restore hope to millions more, and cure countless diseases because a few cells that are nowhere near the point of being capable of feeling pain have to die?

[/ QUOTE ]

What I can't believe is that embryonic isn't the most misspelled word in the english dictionary, however, according to David Letterman, it is: Toyotathon
Old 07-06-2006, 10:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

While I agree with the conclusion, I dont think the position of the opposition is fairly stated here. They are not against the death of the cells, they are against the methods of harvesting those cells.

Why would embryonic be misspelled often?
Old 07-06-2006, 11:01 AM

This is one of the reasons I left the Catholic church. I have a neice with juvenile diabetes, and it pissed me off every time the priest told me to call Congress and tell them to ban embryonic stem cell research. From the article:

[ QUOTE ]
Speaking to the magazine in comments released just before the July 1-9 Fifth World Meeting of Families in Valencia, Spain, Cardinal Lopez Trujillo said "destroying human embryos is equivalent to an abortion.”

“It's the same thing," he said.

[/ QUOTE ]

The priests really tell the parishoners that adult stem cells hold just as much promise (wrong), and that fetuses are being aborted for the express purpose of harvesting stem cells (wrong). Since most parishoners never bother to think for themselves, they assume the priest must be right and start calling their congressman.
Old 07-06-2006, 11:26 AM

The fact that you do not consider poker a moral vice is a good enough reason alone to reject the authoritarianism that inevitably stems from Abrahamism.