Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-06-2006, 07:57 AM

Default (Drum) beats, breaks and variance?

Inspired by this post, I'd like to know what your favorite drum beats or fills/breaks are. Please don't post about a drum solo though, that has been covered in that thread. The beats don't need to be live drums, machines work too. Hip hop has a lot of great beats.

I'll nominate When the Levee Breaks as my favorite beat, it's possibly the most sampled and mimicked drum beat ever.

Here's how that legendary drum sound was captured:

The famous drum performance was actually recorded by placing the drumkit and drummer at the bottom of a stairwell at Headley Grange, and recording it using a microphone three stories above, giving the distinctive resonant but slightly muffled sound.
Old 07-06-2006, 08:03 AM

Default Re: (Drum) beats, breaks and variance?

There are two fills in Trampled Underfoot that are absolutely sick. I think they're both at the end of JPJ's keyboard solos.

Entire duration of "The Real Me" is insane, though not one of Moon's tougher drum beats (imo). Just a lot of playing really loud.

The fills just before the "real opening" of "The Grudge" on Lateralus. Twoish minutes into the song or so.

"Rock and Roll" in its entirety is quite amazing as well. Was always a fan of the snare/bass combo throughout the first "lonely, lonely, lonelyyyy time."
Old 07-06-2006, 08:05 AM

When the Levee Breaks rocks.
Old 07-06-2006, 08:34 AM

i think the whole Led Zeppelin catalog is going to be named in this thread. My fav is likely The Ocean.

Favorite cowbell fill: Welcome to the Jungle.
Old 07-06-2006, 08:49 AM

I think the drumming by Mike Portnot in Deam Theater's "Dance of Eternity" is incredible.

Hel, he switches time signature every other measure (sometimes every measure).

Chek out a drum tab (and you can feel it), he goes from like 11/8, 13/8, 3/8 etc etc
Old 07-06-2006, 08:52 AM

Dance of Eternity is pretty nice too. The problem with it is that, in my opinion, it is the worst track on Scenes (although still good). All of the other songs have great drumming as well since Portnoy rules.
Old 07-06-2006, 09:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i think the whole Led Zeppelin catalog is going to be named in this thread. My fav is likely The Ocean.

Favorite cowbell fill: Welcome to the Jungle.

[/ QUOTE ]
Ha ha, yeah. I'm not going to post all my ideas at once, I don't want to ruin the thread. Bonzo was such a funky drummer though, lots of material to choose from.

Which reminds me, Funky Drummer performed by Clyde Stubblefield (James Brown's drummer at one point) has a legendary fill in there. It's been sampled many times.

Pretty much anything by James Brown has RAD beats. His music is ALL about rhythm. Every instrument used in some way or another affected the rhythm, even his vocals. His sidemen deserve a lot of credit for their talent, but Brown deserves a lot of credit for having a great vision of what he wanted and shaping his sound.