Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Two Plus Two > About the Forums
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-03-2006, 10:54 PM

Default Re: Show Your Support!

True, some of the best threads on OOT involve food and drink, but the problem is, with such a volume of posts, they quickly scroll off the first few pages, then die to some innane dating topic. If the Gruel & Grog forum were on its own, with less traffic, longer running threads would occur, with greater quality.

Besides, OOT will still be home to the "ZOMG! I'm Drunk!" threads. Those would stay there, not move to the new forum.
Old 07-03-2006, 10:57 PM

I dunno, I've really enjoyed some of the zomg I'm drunk threads here, and they're not really welcomed in OOT.
Old 07-03-2006, 11:49 PM

Sports discussion on this site would not be half as good if it was still mixed with OOT. On topic forums ten to generate more specific dialogue and more experts. I think all the food threads do not get the attention they deserve because of their current location.

The focus here needs to be on splitting speciic topics that can stand on their own. LOL and TQZ were just different versions of OOT... the range of poential topics in each was too vague and broad to avoid overlap and confusion. IMO it will not be so with food and drink because it is a clear cut topic and I think it will generate enough traffic to stand on its own.
Old 07-04-2006, 04:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
True, some of the best threads on OOT involve food and drink, but the problem is, with such a volume of posts, they quickly scroll off the first few pages, then die to some innane dating topic. If the Gruel & Grog forum were on its own, with less traffic, longer running threads would occur, with greater quality.

Besides, OOT will still be home to the "ZOMG! I'm Drunk!" threads. Those would stay there, not move to the new forum.

[/ QUOTE ]
OOT has become noticeably slower since the addition of LOL and TQZ. If you split it off any further, it is going to lose steam and popularity. These new forums everyone wants aren't going to be big traffic generators in and of themselves. They will probably have moderate-to-light traffic, with the potential to fizz out and die. Much of this traffic will be siphoned off from OOT. Any of these threads in this forum could have (and many already have) been posted in OOT.

I also believe that much of the appeal of OOT is the high volume and variety of threads that it contains. Another attraction is the high number of different personalities that frequent OOT. It is a place to shoot the [censored] without a lot of rules.
Old 07-04-2006, 04:42 PM

I think FAD is a good idea.
Old 07-04-2006, 08:47 PM

Frankly I agree with zephed.

Had diebitter succeeded in creating an A&E forum, a Food, Drink and Health forum would have been another logical split and certainly could have garnered traffic. The primary reason diebitter's A&E forum never happened was that exact concern -- many posters didn't want to see OOT split up into a handful of topical forums. While I personally would have been completely fine with dividing OOT into 3-4 topical forums (A&E, FD&H, etc), it was pretty roundly shot down.

The solution settled on was to do it by depth of discussion -- hence LOL/OOT/TLR.

diebitter has since retracted his decision to open up TLR to more one-line/thin topics that may have made that forum more like OOT2. I think the drama that's been going on with regards to OOT will blow over, and I still believe that the concept of the LOL/OOT/TLR split is a good one.

Most of the arguments for splitting topically were that OOT's high volume and high traffic buried threads that developed over longer periods of time and that invited more in-depth discussion. Whether you're talking about music or movies or various scotches, those wanting a topical forum just want a place where they can talk about their topic without it disappearing quickly.

I think if the Food and Drinkers took their topics to TLR, they could find most of the benefits they're looking for and simultaneously help demonstrate that there are people interested in that forum's concept -- a place of in-depth discussion about whatever.

I think a lot of people believe that TLR is diebitter's OOT, or A&E under a different name. I think it's become that primarily BECAUSE people think that way -- I'm quite sure diebitter would welcome in-depth threads on Food and Drink quite heartily.

My main point here is that I just can't see a Food and Drink forum being made while the LOL/OOT/TLR paradigm exists. Considering all the complaining that occurred when diebitter wanted an A&E forum, can you imagine the complaining that would occur if OOT was now being split both by discussion depth AND topically?
Old 07-05-2006, 01:39 AM

To illustrate Madtown's point about tl:dr and food:

Making sushi

There's also one current about Indian food.

I personally still support a FaD and think the level of support in this thread justifies it. My in-depth food/drink are very welcome in tl:dr.

-- Wookie
Maybe just ask OOT, and make it clear you will abide by the decision? After all any chance is better than no chance.
Old 07-05-2006, 01:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
word

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 07-06-2006, 04:10 AM

I [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] booze
Old 07-06-2006, 05:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I support it, this forum has been one of my favorites over the last few weeks, and the descussion has been pretty solid.

[/ QUOTE ]
I'd just like to make another quick point. Certainly this forum has been enjoyable. But it certainly does not have the amount of traffic required to maintain an active forum at this site. Most of the threads were made early on. After the first couple of weeks the posting rate has dropped off. The threads in here would definitely benefit from higher exposure.

Also, dcifrthis has his special mod playground for a week, I believe it was a food forum. It had less activity than this forum has.