Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha High
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-05-2006, 03:52 PM

Default The Action at the Rio...

is sick.

I played 2/5 and only one session, so my stories are probably not nearly as good as those playing bigger (I did see a 4-way preflop allin for many many grand won by KK92 on an AKxxx board at the 25/50 game, and I saw Raymer playing 25/50 or 50/100).

Anyway, the biggest pot from my several hour session Saturday:

Guy to my left and I have been chatting a bit. He plays the 50/100 on UB, brought 50K to Vegas and lost all but 10K in the bigger games, including over 20K on a single pot where his AA caught runner runner quads and lost to a flopped straight flush. So he's down playing 2/5.

Crazy, loose, half-fun half-angry gambling guy is on my right. Both have >$1500. Gambler covers UB by a bit. Neither has gotten out of line much and, generally, there haven't been a ton of pots in the $500-1000+ range, although there has been a lot of loose play for medium sized pots.

(Mississippi) straddled, unraised pot. Gambler is BB, UB UTG+1.

Flop ($50) K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. Gambler checks, UB pots, others fold, Gambler raises pot to $200. UB calls.

Turn ($450) A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Gambler checks, UB pots. Gambler starts thinking, shaking his head, gets up, walks away, comes back, flips over KK , and calls. (Gambler's turn play makes very little sense to me, not only the flipping over of his cards, but the check-call rather than bet out or checkraise, but that's what he did. I don;t understand why he feared AA rather than a big draw)

River ($1350) 5 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Gambler checks, UB pots (slightly less actually, allin). Gambler stomps, curses, stares, walks away, glares, and finally calls, after about three minutes. UB is stone faced the entire time.

UB turns over A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 4 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].

Gambler immediately whips out $3000 in cash and rebuys to cover. I, trapped in the middle, no longer comfortable with my $1500 stack, but comfortable with my $1K in profit, rack up and get the [censored] out of there.

Post more stories here!
Old 07-05-2006, 04:06 PM

Default Re: The Action at the Rio...

How many 2/5 PLO tables have been going and what are average stack sizes?

(I take it from your post that there is uncapped buyins.)
Old 07-05-2006, 04:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
How many 2/5 PLO tables have been going and what are average stack sizes?

(I take it from your post that there is uncapped buyins.)

[/ QUOTE ]

There was only one 2/5 when i played but I think there has been a second at different times. I'm pretty sure there were multiple games (2, maybe 3) at the higher limits, definitely at 5/10 and I think 10/25. Probably 6 or 7 tables total.

Yes, uncapped, most people at the 2/5 were between 500-1000. I bought in for $500.
Old 07-05-2006, 06:10 PM

The guy to your right pulls up a big stack steaming, and you leave?

gl

dd
Old 07-05-2006, 06:16 PM

Nothing wrong with that. If you're playing with scared money, the best thing you can ever do is leave. Good move.
Old 07-05-2006, 06:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The guy to your right pulls up a big stack steaming, and you leave?

gl

dd

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I know.

It was a variance and psychology vs. EV decision. I had busted from the $2K event that day in range of the money by doing something dumb and I felt like booking a win.

Also, I'd been playing all day after an early morning flight and was tired and a couple of good players with $1Kish had recently sat down and a couple other bad players had left. We were seven or eight handed temporarily.

With that mental state I felt like I'd be more likely to get run over than take advantage of one aggressive, deep stacked steamer.

{Plus I'd only designated 2K, now up to 3K, for cash games for the weekend, so I had half my on-hand cash on the table).
Old 07-05-2006, 06:54 PM

Thanks for the headsup on a game I'm thinking of playing in even though that was pretty much what I expected. I'm not sure I'm going to bring enough to cover that kind of variance though [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 07-05-2006, 07:25 PM

Do you see Europeans in the 2/5 games, or are they pretty much exclusive to the bigger games?
Old 07-05-2006, 11:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Do you see Europeans in the 2/5 games, or are they pretty much exclusive to the bigger games?

[/ QUOTE ]

There were plenty last year, would expect more of the same this year although a lot of the 2/5 players prob wont arrive for another week or two