Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Two Plus Two > MOD DISCUSSION
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-05-2006, 04:05 PM

Default Re: Ed Miller Resigned?

[ QUOTE ]
At some point, I forget exactly why, astroglide outs Otis as Elaine. Much bruhaha ensuses and she's pretty livid with astro.

[/ QUOTE ]

For a while, she was posting under a Mrs.NPA account and Otis concurrently. I'm not exactly sure when or why she switched to ElaineMonster. Anyway, Otis made a post in OOT that she was quitting this account in favor of another account she had been using, stirring up much bruhaha and speculation, as well as mixed feelings about Otis being gone, but not really. Commodus figured out her identity and reported to Astro.
Old 07-05-2006, 04:07 PM

That's right, essentially the argument for outing Otis was that he/she (I forget if Otis was supposed to be a guy or not) asked for it with their farewell post.
Old 07-05-2006, 04:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
That's right, essentially the argument for outing Otis was that he/she (I forget if Otis was supposed to be a guy or not) asked for it with their farewell post.

[/ QUOTE ]

And this is also why elaine's account is currently perma banned, right? Becasue she asked for it?
Old 07-05-2006, 04:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

And this is also why elaine's account is currently perma banned, right? Becasue she asked for it?

[/ QUOTE ]

Grunch,

Elaine's account is banned because she had Ed go in and ban it. no other reason.
Old 07-05-2006, 04:22 PM

I edited this post from its original form because I thought more about how I feel and some of my thoughts have clarified a bit. Just a heads-up to anyone who read both versions.

Hi all,

Elaine is very mad, and what she says on her blog is what she says, not what I say. Not that I disagree with her totally or anything... just that we're two different people with two different perspectives.

I decided to step down for a couple reasons:

1. I was feeling crushed in general and decided I needed to spend more time working on the books and playing poker again. I haven't played poker much since I wrote SSHE two and a half years ago, and frankly I was feeling like a bit out of touch, writing about a game I didn't much play. I'm going to go back to what I got into poker for... playing and writing books.

2. Participating in the forums has become a major sap on my life. I used to enjoy it, but now I don't. It has made me very depressed over the last six months or so, and it eats a lot of my time. It's invaded my personal life in a way that's just not ok with me.

Just so it's clear, Elaine didn't in any way precipitate this decision. Based on the culture here, I know there will be rumors floating that demonize Elaine and paint her as a villan, but you all should know that those rumors will be 100% baseless and will bear no relation to what actually happened. Elaine never even hinted that I should make this decision.

It's one I made on my own. In fact, while Elaine and I had discussed the idea of me concentrating on books and playing before, I didn't even tell Elaine about my meeting with Mason until after the fact.

The blow-up over the weekend was the straw that broke the camel's back, so to speak, but I already knew that I wanted to make this decision, and mostly the only question was when.

This is not a protest on my part. This is a decision that's been on my mind for months now... a quality of life decision for me and Elaine.

And to be honest, I have no idea how to run a forum or build a community or whatever. I don't think I "know better" about how 2+2 should be run... in fact, that's quite it... I feel like books and playing are my areas of expertise, and I feel I strayed from my core competencies by dabbling in the forum, and I think that was an error. I got a little egoistic thinking I could save the world, so to speak, and then I realized that I was in over my head. So I made a difficult for me, but ultimately I think very positive for everyone, decision.

Having said that, I am very uncomfortable with some of the content on the forum... and much of it is the same content Elaine is uncomfortable with. This content, as well as the general tone and culture here, is largely what has gotten me down on participating. Frankly, I don't enjoy wading through misogyny, discussions of violence, graphic videos, and teems of know-it-all 19-year-old pricks with nasty quips and one-liners. It's not just in OOT... this culture permeates the forum these days. It makes me depressed.

I bear absolutely no ill-will toward Mason or Mat or anyone at 2+2. Overall my experience with 2+2 has been excellent, and I look forward to continue writing excellent books for 2+2. I hope everyone understands where I'm coming from.
Old 07-05-2006, 04:32 PM

Ed,

Thank you for explaining this here. You certianly didn't have to explain everything you did. I, for one, very much appreciate your candor and your openness on the reasons for your departure.

Since you are here, I'd just like to personally thank you for everything you've done for 2p2 in general, and me personally as a poker player. I started at 2p2 before SSH came out, and your classic MK posts contributed a great deal as my development as a limit player.

Having long since transitioned to being a full time no-limit player, I looked forward to your book more than any book before. It did not dissapoint. I similarly look forward to the book yopu are currently working on.

Whatever the reasons are for your departure from 2p2, you have my respect and my thanks. If the sole reason for your departure was to stand side-by-side with your wife, for that alone I'd back you up 100%. As a married man, I know nothing is more important. Nothing.

If I ever do meet you, I'll buy you a beer.

Thanks for everything, take care & good luck.

- John

PS - Nothing you've said here will be shared by me outside this forum.
Old 07-05-2006, 04:36 PM

Thanks Ed, for everything.
Old 07-05-2006, 05:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Indeed. Sorry to see you go. We'll miss you.
Old 07-05-2006, 05:08 PM

Thanks Ed, for clarifying.
Old 07-05-2006, 05:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Indeed. Sorry to see you go. We'll miss you.

[/ QUOTE ]