Love,
Sponger
Old 07-05-2006, 03:25 PM

Default Re: Forum Policy - About all the insults

edited
Old 07-05-2006, 03:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Additionally if the level of non profane hositility in your really bothers someone then I would serioualy question whether message boards are the place for them.

[/ QUOTE ]

The whole level of hostility and mean-spiritedness DOES have me questioning such things about myself.

I think this is a community where people should be able to get along a bit better than they do or, at least, be more respectful of each other.

What can I say? The mean tone bothers me and I think it's unnecessary.
Old 07-05-2006, 03:38 PM

MB,

Many other message boards contain much more vitriol than this one. I'm actually surprised by the sense of community, and how common and normal it is for posters to meet in real life. 2p2 is a sort of dysfunctional family; there will always be mean spiritedness, but overall 2p2 posters get along quite well.
Old 07-05-2006, 03:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Additionally if the level of non profane hositility in your really bothers someone then I would serioualy question whether message boards are the place for them.

[/ QUOTE ]

The whole level of hostility and mean-spiritedness DOES have me questioning such things about myself.

I think this is a community where people should be able to get along a bit better than they do or, at least, be more respectful of each other.

What can I say? The mean tone bothers me and I think it's unnecessary.

[/ QUOTE ]

Bob,

with all due respect I think it bothers you when it's directed at people you like and not when coming from those same people or directed at others.

But you are certainly free to set the policies you think are best and I will try to post within them
Old 07-05-2006, 03:50 PM

This is something that has occured to me as well (others seem to share this opinion).

Obviously this is a danger I need to be aware of and I certainly don't think it would be a good thing to play favorites.

I agree that Elaine wasn't exactly polite to you in one of the posts in this forum and that some of it was defending you and criticizing her attacks.

figuring out 'who started it' and stuff like that would obviously be ridiculous though.
So just because one group/person thinks it was the other person who instigated it or vice-versa is not going to be justification to insult away.
Old 07-05-2006, 04:13 PM

I mostly agree with Microbob. Flaming/insults are fine in a place like OOT, that's what OOT is for, and you'll see off topic/flaming forums on a lot of message boards. In part those exists so that if people feel the need to do that, they can, and peopel who mod the other forums can say "go do that there, but not here".

Needless insults have the capacity to really derail threads.

A few things I think about as a mod:

1- there's a difference between "that's a stupid idea" and "you're a stupid poster".

2- there's a difference between "that's a stupid idea" and "that's a stupid idea and here is why"

[censored],

I think it's very hard for you to give advice to the other mods in areas like this, because your forums exists, and you operate the way we do in a sense to enable this behavior. Those of us who mod non-strat, non-oot forums walk a thin line, as it's hard to know what goes and what doesn't. What I'll tell you for sure is that allowing an argument to drag down threads is a fantastic way for a forum to go to hell.
Old 07-05-2006, 04:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
MB,

Many other message boards contain much more vitriol than this one. I'm actually surprised by the sense of community, and how common and normal it is for posters to meet in real life. 2p2 is a sort of dysfunctional family; there will always be mean spiritedness, but overall 2p2 posters get along quite well.

[/ QUOTE ]

I very much agree that overall 2+2'ers get along quite well.
Also agree that the level of hostility can get much worse elsewhere.

But I think we can do better and should strive to be less-hostile/more-respectful.
I'm not really sure whether this is a situation that is getting worse these days or not. We tend to look at the past as 'the good old days' whether or not they really were.

I just don't care for the mean-spirtedness and hope that we can eliminate more of the situations where we just sit around and rip each other (speaking of the times it is clearly NOT being done in a 'good-natured, we're really friends' kind of way)
Old 07-05-2006, 04:40 PM

Hi Bob,

I commend your efforts and those of other mods to promote a more civil discourse here. But I think <font color="green">[censored] </font> is 100% correct as well regarding goodbye threads. If you make a thread and don't just say a nice goodbye, but call other posters idiots instead, you are going to get called an idiot and worse in return. A poster can always either make a nice goodbye, or just quietly fade, and possibly even start a new account to post under and avoid forums and posters with whom they previously had problems.

But Elaine didn't do that. Whether she truly was the victim of others' meanspiritedness or she brought unfortunate results upon herself as I believe, she had the choice of rising above their perceived bad behaviour and exiting more gracefully. Instead she spit in their eye and got spit upon in return.

So when someone does that, I think you should either just immediatly move their thread to the mod forum, or let posters give the expected hostile/unfriendly replies in return and then perhaps lock the thread after a reasonable period. But it is unreasonalbe in the extreme to allow a poster to insult others and then try to limit insults back at that poster.
Old 07-05-2006, 04:47 PM

Dids,

poster decides to make goodbye post which is hostile in tone

other posters decide to tell him/her she will not be missed in various forms or why they are glad he/she is gone.

Do you think in the above example, it is fair to say that the hostile comments are not unwarranted, uninvited and should expected.

I think it would be much different if for example a well known poster made a farewell post due to other things happening in their life which was thanking the forum and wishing everyone well. in that case I think a much more strict line would be appropriate. agree/disagree?

As for specifics I am saying in Elaine's post that the line should be tony's post (being too far) but the rest of the examples are not over the line. agree/disagree?