Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-04-2006, 10:44 AM

Default Bankrolls of the Poker Youth

I'm a 21 year old law student who has just finished my 2nd year at uni. I've recieved a £5100 interest-free loan from the government for each year (this will continue next year) and have a £1500 interest-free overdraft on my student bank account. My student loan doesn't have to be paid back until after uni when I'm earning.

The remaining £300 of my overdraft should cover me until I recieve the first installment of next years loan as I'm living at home with my parents for the summer.

I deposited $150 in my poker account at the beginning of May. It's now up to around $750 (exc. the initial $150 deposit which I have withdrawn back into my bank account.)

I started playing $.5/1 limit and moved down to $.25/.50 briefly when my bankroll dropped to $100. My BB/100 hands at these micro limits was over 5.

When I reached $500 I started multi-tabling the $25 NL 6-max tables.

My winning play justifies me continuing to move up limits, but my financial situation makes me think maybe I should be withdrawing money on a regular basis ... ?

I'm stuck between two ideas. The first is to withdraw $400 every time I reach $1k. The second is to continue to build my bankroll until I'm winning at $50 NL 6-max and then start withdrawing (hopefully at a quicker rate.)

I'm interested to know how others at uni/college deal with their debts and build their bankroll at the same time. Do you just get part-time jobs to cover your expenses and keep your poker winnings seperate?
Old 07-04-2006, 11:27 AM

Default Re: Bankrolls of the Poker Youth

you can start withdrawing when your crushing NL2000.
Old 07-04-2006, 11:45 AM

I'm 18 and will be going to the uni after this summer, but I think it's a bad idea to keep withdrawing $400 when you hit $1000 or something like that.
Keep working on your game, and once you know you can beat the next level, move up to it as soon as you have the right bankroll. It's silly to keep playing $25NL when you could be playing $400+NL with a few months of play and study.
Old 07-04-2006, 03:11 PM

take out the first 10 buyins you make after you have 25 at any level. Then build up to 25 buyins at the next level and than take out the next 10 buyins you make and so on. So for nl 50 have a br of 1250 and then take out the next 500 you make and then build up to 2500 for nl100
Old 07-04-2006, 09:38 PM

Location: always C/Ring with 3 outs and usually getting there

Your idea of cashing out 400 every time you reach 1k will almost inevitably lead to you going bust. Most people subscribe to the theory that a bankroll that is not growing is one that is shrinking.

Just use your judgment. You're not going to want to keep playing .5/1 and 1/2 forever. There's no "plan" you can follow, since poker is an up and down endeavor.

There are plenty of people in this age group who have built up bankrolls into the 5 and 6 figure territory. The only way to do this is to keep your cashouts to a minimum
Old 07-04-2006, 09:58 PM

I just keep my poker bankroll/checking account intertwined and pay for everything (college tuition, food, rent, new car, etc.) straight cash.
Old 07-04-2006, 11:52 PM

I just keep my poker bankroll and other funds intertwined and pay for everything out of my bank account...
Old 07-05-2006, 02:30 PM

Im in the exact same situation as you are. Same age, except no loan, and I started playing poker in Dec 2004(which is probably the reason i have no loan) I keep poker strictly seperate from work money. During school poker is work and is used when I really need it, otherwise, I try to build it as high as I could. I never spent any of it until this spring/summer, when I bought my xbox 360 and my trip to the Bahamas...I use work money for tuition, and poker money for fun things like trips and video games. As long as you are very strict with limits that are maintainable with your bankroll, you will be fine. Cashing out 40% of your winnings probably isnt the best idea, you may be at 5BB/100 now, but dont count on that to last...you can expect to go through a nasty run at some point so be prepared by having a supporting bankroll. Bankroll management is one of the most important things in poker for university players, just make sure it doesnt get to the point where you are cashing out and then depositing back in with your own money. I put in $30 at the start and never put in any more.
Old 07-05-2006, 04:40 PM

my advice to you as a starting player: dont withdraw any $ from your online BR unless you absolutely have to. starting out, $100/$200/etc is pretty essential to your bankroll, and if your playing 25nl, thats 5-10 buyins. keep the money online, continue to move up in stakes, then start cashing out when the money is meaningful (1/2 NL+).

here is a good link from SSNL: bankroll management