Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-04-2006, 01:40 PM

Default Re: Newest Identifiable leak in my game.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
the problem is that you let yourself get down to 4xBB.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this is wrong. I didn't "get down" to 4xBB. I built my stack from 2000 to 7000 1200 of which is in the blind.

The question isn't about why I don't have more chips at this point. The question is what do I do in this situation?

I understand this advise in a large MTT but this happens alot in a 5 table sngs, which is what I'm playing alot of right now.
Old 07-04-2006, 04:38 PM

gotta know your opponent. I never call with Q4o here though.
Old 07-04-2006, 05:46 PM

sack up and instacall
Old 07-04-2006, 08:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
the problem is that you let yourself get down to 4xBB.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is it too broad of a question to ask you how to avoid getting down to 4xbb?

What do you do, just start pushing allin with any hand or situation you can find where your first in and have 8xbb? Or do you start pushing earlier? If so, what point? 10xbb?

thx
Old 07-04-2006, 08:04 PM

You're in the big blind right now, but why didn't you push the hand before? Or the hand before that? Or the hand before that? Or 2 orbits ago before you were down to 4 big blinds? If you can grab the blinds a couple times an orbit you won't need to call off your stack with Q4.

You should start looking to push way before you're down to 4 big blinds. When your M is 5 or 6 it's time to really start looking to attack.
Old 07-05-2006, 11:25 AM

Well I usually do, I say "OK time to attack" With an M of 5 or 6 then Button 72o, CO 93 and a raise ahead, MP3 82 and a raise ahead etc. etc.

Being in this spot does happen.
Old 07-05-2006, 02:25 PM

Of course it does happen, but I think you should consider the merits of pushing 27o if folded into on the button instead of ending up calling in BB with Q4o.
Q4o is a coinflip against a random hand, 27o would instead give you about 35% equity.
So with the FE you could get when making a 4BB push with 27o it might very well be the better option.
Not sure that would be the line I would take, but it could be worth thinking about.
Of course there could be a chance that you wait and get dealt pocket rockets in the next hand, but you could also get lucky and win with your 27o if called.
Old 07-05-2006, 02:44 PM

The problem you're running into is that in the 5-table tournaments, the blinds raise fast enough that nobody has any chips when you get down to the FT bubble and are sitting at short tables. You have to also look at your stack and say "Everybody at this table has a stack small enough to be worried about calling me" (The big stack will have 12-20K, your 7k still a big chunk). If it's folded to you, you can push any two unless you've been caught pushing crap recently (in which case would have doubled up if you're still alive). It's much more profitable than calling a marginal hand. Even open pushing from UTG is probably better (depends on the table size).

In those things, multiple times, i've given away most of my stack and built my stack back up to be the chip leader by just pushing any two, stealing the blinds 5 times, then doubling up.