Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-25-2006, 01:49 AM

Default Poker players smoking pot and drinking

What percentage of players do these things. Anyone got any stories of going bust in a day while wasted.
Old 06-25-2006, 02:22 AM

Default Re: Poker players smoking pot and drinking

[ QUOTE ]
What percentage of players do these things. Anyone got any stories of going bust in a day while wasted.

[/ QUOTE ]

I both drink and puff the dank, but the only times I combine them with poker is for low-buyin tourneys and SnGs.

Before I ever started playing seriously, I once heard that neverwin is a huge puff-dawger, but I can't substantiate that.
Old 06-25-2006, 03:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No, but it sounds like you might. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Trip Report?

Onaflag.........
Old 06-25-2006, 05:53 AM

I play bad wasted so I tend not to do it anymore unless I'm playing at the Luxor's $50 NL game. Free drinks WOOOo
Old 06-25-2006, 06:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i typically drink at the end of a session or to inspire action (+ my enjoyment). i adjust my game to react to how those who are seeing me drink are playinga gainst me.

this is live.

online 4 fun or HUHU w/ other 2p2ers [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Barron
Old 06-25-2006, 07:11 AM

I usually drink when trying to wind down from a live session. When I'm at a B&M I usually sleep all day and wake up around 6 or 7 pm and pound coffees in AC, and Sugar-Free Red Bulls in Vegas, then I'm fresh until the next morning/afternoon. I'm usually pretty wired by the end of my session so I drink Turkey or Jack on the rocks to settle down. I'm still on my relatively same game but I'm extra chatty with the morning rocks when they come in with their coffees and newspapers and I get 3-bet/capped a lot more often when I'm holding a whiskey no matter how tight I play. It's also usually pretty entertaining to chat up the morning crew, pounding whiskeys while they're trying to nit it up.
Old 06-25-2006, 01:36 PM

I dont drink too often except on occasion when i play live just to relax and make sure i dont get bored. But i often smoke while playing online. I find it calms me down usually and makes everything more enjoyable.
Old 07-04-2006, 08:13 PM

i one time got high as balls and sat down for a session. woke up an hour later with my right arm asleep and all of my tables were timed out, and i was kicked out for missing the blinds for 3 rotations. not a good move.

but when i play live, i get high, put on the shades and listen to a nice play list of jazz, primarily a band called "galactic" it eases my ADD and keeps me tight. it helps to pass time. i can still read players, pick up on tells, count the pot, etc. i never drink tho. last time i did that, the laptop was in pieces in the driveway, no lie.
Old 07-05-2006, 12:14 AM

The truth is a LOT of players (especially online) play while drinking and/or smoking. A very few can pace themselves while doing this and keep their play under control. By far most, though, play much worse when high or with as little as 2 drinks in them.

Myself, I've lost a LOT of money while trying to play intoxicated. But I've created a safehaven to get around this. I try to be a serious player, and when I play serious I play sober. However, like most, there's still some "I like to play poker recreationally" floating around in me. Recreationally (where you're mostly not playing to win, but just for the fun of the game) I see no problem with having a drink or smoke while playing if you choose to do so.

The problem lies in how to identify the difference between recreational and serious play. For me, I keep my larger bankrolls on the sites that "serious ja" finds to be the most profitable. I also have a couple sites that are my "recreational" sites (intoxicated or for whatever reason just having fun) that I keep a couple hundred on a piece. If I have had EVEN ONE drink, then I play those recreational sites, for that's the money I don't care about. I have decent enough self-control that I don't cross the two, but I'm sure that keeping the money on separate sites is the only reason. (If I played on all the same sites and just played lower stakes while drinking I'm pretty sure I'd cross the line....as a matter of fact it's happened....hence my multi-site philosophy.)
Old 07-05-2006, 02:15 PM

Im fine playing while high, but not drunk.