Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-04-2006, 07:37 AM

Default NL 200 reraise pf...check the flop?

Can't remember if I had any reads. I normally lead the flop but a reraise either puts me all in or leaves me no fold equity. Is it right to check so I can either get a free card or check raise all in? Also, I want to give him the chance to bet worse hands.

I just moved up to this level. Sorry if this is basic question.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (6 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

Hero ($199.55)
BB ($296.76)
UTG ($211.55)
MP ($534.43)
CO ($675.21)
Button ($100)

Preflop: Hero is SB with K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. Hero posts a blind of $1.
<font color="#CC3333">UTG raises to $8</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero (poster) raises to $30</font>, BB calls $22, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>.

Flop: ($56) 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero ??
Old 07-04-2006, 07:44 AM

Default Re: NL 200 reraise pf...check the flop?

If I'm going to reraise, I would more likely make it 22-24 preflop, I want to be left with options as to my move later on.

BB cold calling isn't good here. I'd probably still bet out ~$40 here, BB could be on a pair and figuring UTG will call too. You likely still have a decent amount of fold equity. What worse hands do you expect him to have? You have king high, you're 50/50 against jacks, and jacks may well not play any further if you bet here.
Old 07-04-2006, 09:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If I'm going to reraise, I would more likely make it 22-24 preflop, I want to be left with options as to my move later on.

[/ QUOTE ]

I though you should re-raise big OOP to hopefully take the hand down preflop and have less of the play postflop where your position hurts you? is this wrong?
Old 07-04-2006, 09:28 AM

ccer doesnt have an ace very often here. just c-bet.
Old 07-04-2006, 10:01 AM

No, it's right.

However, making it 30 rather than 24 isn't going to make any difference to the range of hands he folds here, and it does make a difference with respect to potsize on later streets (if any). You want to keep control of the pot size much more closely OOP.
Old 07-04-2006, 10:47 AM

dont reraise KQ OOP
Old 07-04-2006, 11:45 AM

What was your reasoning for raising KQs preflop? It's fine under some circumstances but you're not telling us any of them. Anyways I'd just bet 50 or whatever
Old 07-04-2006, 09:23 PM

I'd be much more accepting of pre-flop if it was a CO or button raise. This seems pretty bad.

How aggressive is UTG? One idea is to go for a weak lead, hoping to induce a raise, but not a raise so large that the opponent will be committed. For example, if you lead for 20 and he goes to 70, you can wake up for another 100 representing a monster. And if he has no ace, he'll probably fold to 20 anyway. Also, a small bet might act as a sort of blocking bet, allowing you draw more cheaply than if you check/called - this idea is mentioned in NLTAP.
Old 07-04-2006, 09:46 PM

This is not a very good spot to reraise preflop. If there were a caller or two in between in would be much better, but here you're repopping an UTG raiser with no other dead money in the pot and no strong reads. Like Morrek said I'd fire $50 on the flop.
Old 07-04-2006, 10:24 PM

Whoops, I'm an idiot. I edited the original hand conversion thinking theres was messup some where because it showed the bb calling $22. This was correct since he was coldcalling. I only actually raised to $24.

Anyway, I'm really not sure why I made the pf rr. Checking my pt stats I only 31 hands on utg (32/16), so I can't imagine having a very good read.

[ QUOTE ]
How aggressive is UTG? One idea is to go for a weak lead, hoping to induce a raise, but not a raise so large that the opponent will be committed. For example, if you lead for 20 and he goes to 70, you can wake up for another 100 representing a monster. And if he has no ace, he'll probably fold to 20 anyway. Also, a small bet might act as a sort of blocking bet, allowing you draw more cheaply than if you check/called - this idea is mentioned in NLTAP.

[/ QUOTE ]

I just started using blocking bets for drawing since reading NLTAP, but I never considering using them in a situation like this. Interesting idea.

I ended up betting 40 dollars and I took it down. Anyway, this post proves why I shouldn't post after getting home from work. The bb calling changes the hand completely.