Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-04-2006, 03:53 AM

Default My thoughts: Sandals and Video Games

Ok. Over the last couple weeks there have been numerous threads where people have commented on things being "gay" or "stupid" that clearly aren't. Two off the top of my head are Sandals and Video Games, and here is why.

Sandals: Firstly, I live in San Diego, I’m not talking about Illinois in the middle of winter. It's summer, its sunny, and there is NOTHING more functional/comfortable for me to wear than my pair of rainbow sandals. If you wear shoes to the beach you'll get laughed at, and if you don’t go to the beach, you probably don’t have a soul. Seriously though, quick errands (efficiency), beach going, comfort… what else do you want in a piece of footwear? Obviously for a formal occasion a shoe is required, but for every day use, I see no alternative. Work/dressy situations not withstanding, I hardly ever wear shoes.

I admit, elsewhere the climate may more directly dictate one's foot-ware, but in any place with warm weather, I see no alternative.

*Leave out situational specific examples in your responses, I'm obviously not wearing flip-flops to play basketball*

Video Games: Sure, kids obsess over them. We all have friends that we've lost to such games such as Everquest, WoW, Anarchy, or a number of other MMORPG's. But there is more to video games than life-ending Internet fantasy worlds. Who here hasn't played Mario, Tetris, Zelda, or Pac man? Video games have taught me strategy, analytical thinking and problem solving. They also help in a certain past time shared by many people on this board.

Video games have greatly affected my life in a very good way. There is nothing wrong with them or those that play them.

The problems that arise around video games stem not from the games themselves, but from peoples inability to lead a balanced life. I strongly believe most hobbies/activities are good in MODERATION; it's when anything is taken to an obsessive level that they become detrimental to one's well being. This is a near universal truth, and can be applied to anything from wine to baseball.

My final thoughts:

1. The word gay can be used in a descriptive manner. It isn’t derogatory and shouldn’t be used in a derogatory way; so calling sandal’s “gay” merely shows illiteracy, not opinion.
2. If you think they actually do reflect on one’s sexual orientation, come to the beach with me and ask 15 girls for their # wearing shoes on the beach, I’ll wear my rainbows, and lets compare at the end.
3. Define “cool” in your arguments: “Cool” can reflect on public opinion at the time or your point of view, two very different things. Public opinion doesn’t dictate right or wrong, so be clear when you make a blanket statement.
3A. In regards to Sandals, they are cool in terms of public opinion. If you disagree, go anywhere with a climate which allows them and see for yourself. If you live in fc*koffCold town what you or your friends think doesn’t matter. If you personally think they are not “cool,” explain.

Don’t obsess over a single hobby and most of them will affect your life in a positive way.

If you want to buy a pair of sandals, the only 2 brands worth buying are Rainbows or Reefs.

If you want to play video games, pm me and I could tell you what to get.
Old 07-04-2006, 04:06 AM

Default Re: My thoughts: Sandals and Video Games

Did I miss some massive outcry against sandals?
Old 07-04-2006, 04:31 AM

I agree on both counts. People who talk trash about video games irritate the hell out of me. 99% of the time their understanding of video games is either completely outdated or hopelessly narrow.
Old 07-04-2006, 04:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If you want to buy a pair of sandals, the only 2 brands worth buying are Rainbows or Reefs.

[/ QUOTE ]
Honestly, after a decent argument about why sandals are great footwear for hot days and obviously beach wear, you then ruin it by saying something like this. Merrell make great sandals for example. I'm sure there are other decent manufacturers. I also see nothing wrong with a decent brandless pair of jesus sandals in the right situation.
Old 07-04-2006, 06:09 AM

most people who dont like video games suck at them.
Old 07-04-2006, 06:24 AM

You're correct. I was thinking flip-flop (thong) sandals in my OP, but there are many uses for the Jesus sandal and other styles...

As for flip flops. Rainbows win (last 1-2years)A comfort, Reefs next, A+ comfort but less durability
Old 07-04-2006, 11:12 AM

When I was in elementary school, if you (a boy) liked a girl, you were "gay".

Now it's a little unnerving seeing the word misused by grown men....
Old 07-04-2006, 11:17 AM

Nothing wrong with sandals, I live in Houston, it's outrageously hot and humid, you won't find a man here without a pair of open-toe leather sandals to just slide on and off. Plus I have a dog that has to be walked, I'm not going to take the time to put on socks and running shoes several times a day just so my feet can sweat.

And video games are great. They're fast-paced, challenging, intellectually stimulating, etc, what's not to like?
Old 07-04-2006, 11:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If you wear shoes to the beach you'll get laughed at

[/ QUOTE ]

Reasoning of the year.
Old 07-04-2006, 11:22 AM

I don't see why people don't like sandals, even if it isn't warm out.