Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-17-2006, 03:09 AM

Default 99 vs super-aggro

Villian is super aggressive, 14.8/14.2/12.5 over 150 hands

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (9 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
UTG calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, CO calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB 3-bets</font>, UTG calls, Hero calls, CO calls.

Flop: (12.50 SB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, UTG folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, CO calls, <font color="#CC3333">BB 3-bets</font>, Hero calls, CO folds.

Turn: (10.25 BB) A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, Hero folds.

Final Pot: 11.25 BB

Is this completely standard or do I call down? I like the fold with the A on the turn but I have seen him go nuts with K5s, etc. My other line was capping the flop, and still fold this turn.
Old 01-17-2006, 03:45 AM

Default Re: 99 vs super-aggro

call the flop and raise the turn , fold to a turn 3 bet.
Old 01-17-2006, 12:12 PM

You need to go to showdown here. A maniac wins his money when he gets people with better hands to fold. When you have a hand that has showdown value, you need to get to showdown. You just need to decide how cheaply or expensively you want to get there. In this case, you want to get there as cheap as possible.

Getting to showdown often against this guy is +EV for the following reasons:

a) when we wins, it encourages him to act like a maniac on future hands. He thinks he's out playing you.

b) you get into a pissing contests with him, which will likely cause him to act MORE maniacal (sp)?

c) you get to put in many more bets when you are likely ahead. You KNOW he is going to bet, so fold when you know you are behind (and have no showdown value, e.g. drawing), call when you are not sure, and raise when you are ahead. He's betting into you in all three scenarios--so who has the advantage?

d) the other seats will either think you are also a maniac, or a calling station. Making adjustments against these players also offers +EV situations

e) most people against maniacs love to see flops and try to wait for the nuts to punish them. You counter by raising them out of the pot when you are drawing or likely ahead (you did this in your sample hand--look at all of CO's dead money you get to play for on the turn).
Old 01-17-2006, 04:07 PM

Good fold.

Villan may be super aggro, but look at his VPIP. It's actually on the low side. His PFR is close to normal, although a tad high. His PFA (12.5) is extremely high, but all this says to me is that he's been hitting flops on the small range of cards he's been coming into pots with. 150 hands is decent, but not a huge sample size. Regardless, I'm thinking that this is not your typical LAG/maniac.

So what hands is he going to 3-bet with preflop with? Let's say ...

AA,KK,QQ,JJ,TT,AKs,AK,AQs,AJs,ATs

Also, he 3-bet the flop, which makes me think he's got an overpair to the board or AK [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].

When the A hits on the turn and he leads out, there's nothing else for you to do but save your 2 BB you'd spend calling down.

I don't see any other way to play this hand.