Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-17-2006, 02:44 PM

Default Re: Playing with posters (a pre-flop question)

Raising for a few reasons:

1) I am a crack-ho for dead blind $

2) Fold Equity. A lot of posters will call light (as they should) but release their hand immediately on the flop.

3) Just because I put in 1 BB preflop doesn't mean I have to continue if I flop a marginal hand with tight/tricky players behind me. I don't mind building a bigger pot when most of the $ going in is from blind-posters. (I recognize this flies in the face of basic SSHE concepts but I believe it is a special case, and I'm not saying do it always, just when table conditions warrant...ie the table has been otherwise playing reasonably tight.)

4) If I get to showdown with my marginal raise, I may get good future action on my stronger hands.
Old 01-17-2006, 02:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Raising for a few reasons:

1) I am a crack-ho for dead blind $

2) Fold Equity. A lot of posters will call light (as they should) but release their hand immediately on the flop.

3) Just because I put in 1 BB preflop doesn't mean I have to continue if I flop a marginal hand with tight/tricky players behind me. I don't mind building a bigger pot when most of the $ going in is from blind-posters. (I recognize this flies in the face of basic SSHE concepts but I believe it is a special case, and I'm not saying do it always, just when table conditions warrant...ie the table has been otherwise playing reasonably tight.)

4) If I get to showdown with my marginal raise, I may get good future action on my stronger hands.

[/ QUOTE ]

It is like listening to myself talk (especially point 1).
Old 01-17-2006, 02:49 PM

I hardly think this is raise/fold situation.
Old 01-17-2006, 03:23 PM

QTo sucks. But with 3 posters I may limp. I don't raise though. It's only dead money if they fold and they aren't likely folding with all of the money posted.
Old 01-17-2006, 03:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

With three posters in the hand, plus the BB, there is going to be ~6.5 SBs in the pot immediately after you raise, depending on blind structure. You're probably going to get at least two, more likely three, maybe more callers preflop. That sets you up to where your opponents are getting something in the vicinity of 10:1 on a flop call, which means that you have no folding equity against better hands. Now tack on the fact that many players who post outside of the CO aren't very good to begin with and are going to call down with any pair, plus the possibility that someone behind you actually does have a premium hand (maybe even a poster), and I really, really don't like raising here.

I'm in the fold camp on this one, but if someone held a gun to my head and told me I had to see the flop, I'd limp.