Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-02-2006, 01:15 PM

Default Cleveland Area: Is this game fairly standard or pricey?

Howdy all--

Alright, so here in Cleveland they run a borderline "legal" game every weekend now. Rather than just allowing the underground "charity" poker games to dominate the scene, in order to control things themselves to test the legalization of gambling in my state, the city of Cleveland has opened a poker tent in a section of the downtown bar district. This tent uses only volunteers for dealers and for other workers. All proceeds from the games go toward whatever charity is running the game, and volunteers generally come from this charity group.

Anyway, my question now revolves around the cost of the game. They have a 1/2 NL game, which charges $6/half hour, I believe. There are also 5/10 and 10/20 Limit games, which is what I play in. These games charge $15/hr, which I feel like may be on the high end of seat fees. The games themselves are very juicy, but in a 5/10, I think it may prove difficult to make a large profit. Honestly, I could clean up in the 5/10, no questions asked. Most of the players are just terrible. But, seeing as I'd have to make 2BB/hr, I think it may be a bit pricey. But who knows? Last weekend I was playing against players of a similar quality and I was making 5BB/hr. That's not to brag; I'm just stating that it's definitely possible to make a profit in a high rake/high seat fee game, as long as the average players isn't very good.

One more thing...I am a tight player. I would consider myself a TAG...so doesn't a seat fee as opposed to a rake hurt someone like me, or is there no difference? I'm uncertain. Please help me out. Thanks.

-ryan
Old 07-03-2006, 09:28 AM

Default Re: Cleveland Area: Is this game fairly standard or pricey?

I used to play a lot in the vaguely legal cleveland charity games, they used to rake 5-7$ per pot and oer a few hundred hours i managed to win ~1.3 bb/100. The games are very soft, but when they began with the tent two aspects of it prevented me from going.
Volunteer dealers- not going to be good at all.
the seat charges- absolutely obscene especially with volunteers you are only going to average 25 hands an hour. the games might be beatable for a small amount since they are so soft, but with few hands per hour and an obscene rake per hand its going to be tough to have any type of winrate.