Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-30-2006, 11:18 PM

Default Skalansky OnDemand

Did anyone else watch the series "Advanced Tournament Hold Em" starring Skalansky, Matusow and Todd Brunson? It was a five part series on the Players Network (OnDemand) in which the pros watched 6 amatuers play a single table tournament, they were in another room and were able to see their hole cards.

When it came down to 3 players, the 3 pros were assigned one player to coach. I found Skalansky's advice very unique. Since the blinds were so high by the time it was 3-handed, Skalansky told his player to push with any hand totaling 13 or over (J=11, Q=12 ect..) and to call all-ins with hands totaling over 17. This meant that he would be calling AI with 8-9. Skalasky did catch some flack from the other 2 pros and I thought that this was very entertaining.

I wonder if DS really thought that giving these hard-fast rules to his "horse" was optimal strategy. I thought that Matusow's broad advice was more sound.

Note: Marco Tranillo-Harmon (sp?) was one of the amatures. And I found it amusing that Todd Brunson was assigned to coach him when it became 3-handed (Todd and Jen Harmen dated for several years). There was adequate needling on Brunson's part durning the coching session.
Old 07-01-2006, 02:51 AM

Default Re: Skalansky OnDemand

[ QUOTE ]
Note: Marco Tranillo-Harmon (sp?) was one of the amatures. And I found it amusing that Todd Brunson was assigned to coach him when it became 3-handed (Todd and Jen Harmen dated for several years). There was adequate needling on Brunson's part durning the coching session.

[/ QUOTE ]

Haven't seen this but is Marco Traniello really an amateur? He plays alot of the major tournaments and cashed a few times at WSOP last year. I guess he's more of an amateur in the way that Greg Raymer was an "amateur" when he won the WSOP because he had a full time job (Marco still cuts hair right?)
Old 07-01-2006, 03:56 AM

http://www.playersnetwork.com/playerstv/index.html

That's where you can preview the NL DVD. Actually it seems quite interesting and even more interesting is the fact that Matusow explains why he would always call with the 2nd nut flush, because the guy with the nut flush would never move all-in. Funny, cause that's exactly what Chamanara did in HSP [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 07-01-2006, 04:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Haven't seen this but is Marco Traniello really an amateur? He plays alot of the major tournaments and cashed a few times at WSOP last year. I guess he's more of an amateur in the way that Greg Raymer was an "amateur" when he won the WSOP because he had a full time job (Marco still cuts hair right?)

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, he was by far the best player at the table. He was probably "juiced" into this game (there was a prize for 1st, but they never said what it was). On the show, they never mentioned that he was Marco "Traniello", or that he was married to Jen Harmon, I just recognized him.

Marco also wrote an article for CardPlayer about the Big Game, I wonder if he is going to be a regular columnist. I would be surprised because I can think of several more qualified players than Marco. It must be nice to be married to a high-profile poker player.
Old 07-01-2006, 10:39 PM

Location: tell them ill be here when they come 4 me, me and every single n1gga dat got love 4 me, see i got money on my mind, but the haters wont leave me alone, so im ridin everyday wit every pistol dat i own

i actually saw part of this on youtube believe or not
Old 07-02-2006, 01:53 AM

didnt Chamanara check raise all in ? a little different than moving all in. i think..
Old 07-03-2006, 05:36 PM

Chamanara just raised all-in on the turn. It's almost exactly the play that Matusow described a year ago when the DVD was produced.

Btw, I would love to share another interesting deja vu observation on David's count system for shorthanded play with high blinds, but...I guess I let others elaborate [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 07-03-2006, 05:55 PM

Mr. Harmon was lucky to win this. Some donk bet into a dry pot while Mr. Harmon was all-in and chased out the winning hand.
Old 07-04-2006, 08:24 PM

I was this. I thought it was interesting, but the production values were so low that they detracted from the "instruction."

I'm hoping On Demand carries the Limit Hold'em series, though, since that's my game right now.

I liked how both Dave and Mike basicly told their guys to play Kill Phil style. Then again, once a SnG gets three handed they tend to become a game of push anyway.
Old 07-04-2006, 11:29 PM

Also, I liked how Mike kept turning to Dave and asking "Dave, what are the odds here?" and Dave would answer right off the top of his head without even turning to look at Matusow.