Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-30-2006, 08:46 PM

Default Re: *** OFFICIAL Borgata Opening Weekend Thread ***

I was the guy in the passenger seat of the green Chrysler pulled over at 9 AM on the AC Expressway [86 in a 65].

I was also the guy that told "Big Jerry" (holy crap! he's 'the pope of 2/4 and 3/6'!!) 's friend to STFU when he asked me if I wanted to play him heads-up for better stakes than 2/4 'play money' after raising him with 'censored-poop cards' (mid pair, gutshot draw and flush draw) and taking down the pot.

60 year old nits piss me off.

(Big Jerry is the guy who is always playing 2/4, probably 280 lb, 70 yrs old, < 5 teeth, glasses and ratty hair, had on a gray shirt with red shoulders today)
Old 07-01-2006, 02:02 AM

The only non-80/160 Omaha game that got going was a 3-6 O8B w/full kill for a while. Quite a young line-up for an Omaha game so I am guessing there were trout at the game (I was tall guy w/ Penn State hat). Played 10 HE the rest of the night, game ranged from nitty to pretty good but still quite far from the loose passive action at the TAJ. Another serious effort to get 15-30 O8B going tomorrow evening between 7-9. 10-20 HOE seems like a long shot at this point since even the O8B didn't go but we shall see what tomorrow brings.
Old 07-01-2006, 09:02 AM

I just got back. Pulled a 7 hour session playing 10 holdem. It was nice getting quad Js at the table twice. Was kinda disappointed at first because the floor didnt really know what they were doing for most of the time. After they called my name from the list, they kept sending me to different floor people, each one saying they didn't know where the game was. When I said I was just gonna go to Taj, one of them actually helped to look for it. Table was great though, definitely some donators in the game for a whole 7 hours. One asian guy bought in for 900, and he was up to 2100 at one point and proceeded to lose it ALL by playing every single hand. He fed the game the whole time, as it tightened up when he left. I liked the automatic shuffles, because they had several newbie dealers (and some others they took from Taj and Trop). Not really a big fan of the digital screen at the table, because you can't really see what game it is walking by. Most of the dealers at my table kept banging their tokes on it. I do like that its upstairs now because I get service on my cell now. I think this place will eventually grow on me. I plan on returning some time between now and the 4th, hoping to get some kind of hi-lo game running (maybe we can convince them to run a pink chip 2way?)
Old 07-01-2006, 01:09 PM

How were the wait lists?
Old 07-01-2006, 04:00 PM

Played 12 hrs yesterday from opening...

The pluses - the room is gorgeuous, lots of tables, etc

the negs - chaos. The table check in system was not familiar to many floor or dealers (this will clear up in days I'm sure) and the lists were not organized well. At one point on my table there were four empty seats and over 40 names on a list and we couldn't get any players. Finally we were told teh list was dead and there was no list. They then broke a game to fill in spots at the other tables (which i'd asked them to do ten minutes earlier)
The tourney took up so many seats early that the lists were long with people that ended up leaving by the time the tourney started to break down and open tables up...
All in all the floors and dealers worked hard and will have it all perfect in a few days I think...
the lines should be very manageable if a friday nite was any kind of indicator...like I said once the tourney broke there were plenty of tables left over
Old 07-01-2006, 11:25 PM

Stopped in from 4:00 until 7:30 on saturday.

New location is quite a walk from the parking garage. No big deal tho.

New room is very spacious, open. High limit section seemed to have a little more light. More space between all tables. Main signin area and main podium (where you lock up your seat) are not well labeled. Brush didn't do a good job of directing me to my table.

Digital table screens were actually in use, unlike foxwoods.

They need to upgrade the borgata card to rfid so you can just leave it at the table and get clocked in, so that they can free up the floor to do their actual jobs. As it stands, the floor spends half their shift directing people to tables and swiping cards.

TV screens might be a little too high up. Lots of reflections from lights and stuff. I was just mad because the world cup was on about 1/2 of the TVs, but none of them were close and within my line of sight.

Tourney bleachers are cute. Good way to keep all the railbirds up against a wall.

Table numbering is pretty stupid. Tables need to be labeled much better than they are. They need the signs above the general groupings like foxwoods. You have to actually get behind the dealer and read the sign on the side of the table because the usual plastic markers near the drop box are gone. The only indication of the table number on table/horizontal service is a 1/4" high font on the LCD screen at the table.

Saturday afternoon waitlists were minimal. They tried to open a 6/12 with 11 names on the list at 430 but failed miserably. 2 people sat. Overall wait for 6/12 was 20 mins. 2/5 nl 10 mins. 1/2 nl 20 mins. 5/10 nl ~none.

More stalls in the bathrooms. Yay.

Logged 3-3.5 hours of 6/12 for $180 profit. Very soft. I was the second youngest player at my table at 24, and one of the only two players under 35.

If my review seems overly critical, that is not my intent. The new room is a nice improvement and it kicks the rest of ACs ass.
Old 07-02-2006, 02:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]

New location is quite a walk from the parking garage. No big deal tho.

[/ QUOTE ]

Surface parking is the nuts, entrance is about 50 ft. from poker room.

The games I played were pretty good today, 2-5, 10 HE, 10 Stud. Had aces 6 times and they held up every time, pretty sure that is a record for me, +450. There was a list of interest for 10-20 SHOE but no names. No small/mid Omaha game went at all today which is a bit of a disappointment. The chaos is slowly coming under control but it's still there.
Old 07-02-2006, 02:59 AM

Around 6 tonight servers came by with food (chicken satay, small sandwiches, cookies, brownies) in the high limit room. Good stuff.

The room is nice and holy crap Zidane is just effing awesome.
Old 07-02-2006, 09:04 AM

I'm en route. I'll be the loud guy with a Vince Young jersey.
Old 07-03-2006, 10:28 AM

Played in the 10 AM tourney yesterday (7/2). 225 runners, I missed a 15 outer against an all in player ("this is my first live tourney") early and got crippled. Played short stack poker for another 2 hours before I finally got knocked out with ~100 remaining.

We had a few obviously new dealers. One had a stick-on name tag and ran the game very well - I think I've seen him at the Trop before. There were about three that were clueless and SLOW. One had to get step by step instructions from the floor on how to run a chip race (OK, you have two Jacks, which one gets the chip? J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] or J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]? J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], very good!)

Cafeteria looks nice; thankfully they added seating as trying to scope a seat near the grill in the old room was like trying to get a parking spot at the mall on Dec. 24. Fatburger - the only thing open at 9 AM - was SLOW but they'll get the hang of it soon enough.

(I personally think the "How to order a cheesesteak" display at Tony Luke's is hilarious. I love taking my out of town friends to Tony Luke's in South Philly and make them order before me.)

The new room is HUGE as has been stated before. Lots of room to walk around, even between tables. They used the auto-shufflers for the tourney and all the dealers said they liked them (we asked every one when they started their down at our table). Didn't have one jam the entire 3 hours I played.

The Tournament Registration desk wasn't operational yet; we had to register at the main cage. I was told that was only temporary.

The TVs are too small for how high they are. They also weren't adjusted properly and looked very washed out.

Drink service was slower than I've seen in the past. I think the cocktail waitresses are still adusting to the volume of tables and the size of the room.

All in all, once the bugs get worked out (I guess they'll have time on Wednesday) this will easily become the cream of the crop for AC poker rooms.