Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-01-2006, 02:38 PM

Default Strategy to beat this forced high ante, no blind, Superspeed tourney?

Bad players almost all of them are total LAGS
We all start with 20K in chips
It's almost always 5-6 players, short handed tourney,
and we play holdem, but get this, Blinds are too confusing to this bunch and too hard for them to figure out,
so everyone has to do forced antes.

Ante's starts at $50 each and then goes around one orbit, then its doubles on the dealer, once somone gets busted the ante jumps 500 and then it's doubled again on the dealer.
So its quite possible for the ANTES to be 1600 in 3 orbits.

Can anyone help me with a best strategy to beat this game, I can beat anyone of these guys to death in a real tourney but having trouble adjusting to having to play crappy cards on any flops. These guys raise with any A, Any Pair, Any 2 face cards preflop. I can't help but feel like its a crapshoot, But the players are borderline horrible and the game is very beatable, They call all in with bottom pair, 2nd pair, I've seen it all there. Forget about bluffing these guys unless it's preflop, and even then, any Ax will call you.

They play dealers choice tourneys and I cant tell you how many times we've played draw with the same structure, somebody makes a pot size bet before the draw and then takes 4 cards, showing their ace.. I'm serious.
Old 07-01-2006, 05:45 PM

Default Re: Strategy to beat this forced high ante, no blind, Superspeed tourney?

Old 07-01-2006, 06:02 PM

Default Re: Strategy to beat this forced high ante, no blind, Superspeed tour

the way you describe it, ANY hand you think is worth playing PF in the first couple levels of a real sit and go is worth getting it all in with here as youre ahead of all of these guys ranges and you need the double ups.

as an example, i might just be shoving any A7+, KJ+, 22+ and just trying to keep double through...if you hit middle pair or better out of a blind, be prepared to get it AI...i dont know how else to do it and im not really sure of specifics but you need to accumulate chips in any way you can FAST.
Old 07-01-2006, 06:24 PM

seems like you shud try to see cheap flops/draws early on, and attempt to double up. But not get involved in any big pots with speculative hands.

As soon as higher antes kick up, you can loosen up, as the antes are going to be worth fighting for.

Is this beatable?? It seems to me that once the initial pot is big enough, then you cant be much worse off by fighting for it with marginal hands. That means the LAG's will be right on their turf, and you wont be forcing any huge mistakes on them.

So definitely your edge would be lesser, unless you are great at playing people not cards.
Old 07-01-2006, 11:04 PM

mate,

if figuring out blinds is too tough for your opponents, then i don't reckon they're really big on the strategy thing of poker.

if they can't figure out that the player to the left of the button is the small blind, and the next player is the big blind, and you can't beat them, you need more help than an internet forum can provide.
Old 03-05-2007, 01:44 PM

Default Re: Strategy to beat this forced high ante, no blind, Superspeed tourney?

Beating them isn't the problem, the problem is being forced to play big pots with marginal hands out of position. Not being able to bluff them, Not being able to do anything I'm used to doing. I play tight aggressive and I destroy them when the game is still playable, but at some point, when the antes get to the 12k range, now I'm forced to play hands like 58os oop because the pots are now 50k. Trust me, you've never seen a game like this before. I'm thinking that I should just push all in with any 2 cards that I'd raise with headsup once the blinds get above 10k. Because any hand you get involved in will pot commit you.
Old 03-05-2007, 01:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I destroy them when the game is still playable

[/ QUOTE ]
I guess your buddies didn't like that and came up with an effective strategy -- blinds going up fast and luck becoming a big factor long before you can out play and out manuever your weaker opponents. Sounds like they designed this game to take away your edge
Old 03-05-2007, 04:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Sounds like they designed this game to take away your edge

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 03-05-2007, 10:16 PM

dude,

read the STT forum for the world's leading discussion about short stack play.

once you get <10 big blinds, the optimum strategy is to push/fold all-in preflop.