Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-30-2006, 10:51 AM

Default Re: Best opening moments in Film

Way out west there was this fella I wanna tell ya about. Goes by the name of Jeff Lebowski. At least that was the handle his loving parents gave him, but he never had much use for it himself. See, this Lebowski, he called himself "The Dude". Now, "Dude" - there's a name no man would self-apply where I come from. But then there was a lot about the Dude that didn't make a whole lot of sense. And a lot about where he lived, likewise. But then again, maybe that's why I found the place so darned interestin'. See, they call Los Angeles the "City Of Angels"; but I didn't find it to be that, exactly. But I'll allow it as there are some nice folks there. 'Course I ain't never been to London, and I ain't never seen France. And I ain't never seen no queen in her damned undies, so the feller says. But I'll tell you what - after seeing Los Angeles, and this here story I'm about to unfold, well, I guess I seen somethin' every bit as stupefyin' as you'd seen in any of them other places. And in English, too. So I can die with a smile on my face, without feelin' like the good Lord gypped me. Now this here story I'm about to unfold took place in the early '90s - just about the time of our conflict with Sad'm and the I-raqis. I only mention it because sometimes there's a man... I won't say a hero, 'cause, what's a hero? Sometimes, there's a man. And I'm talkin' about the Dude here - the Dude from Los Angeles. Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's the Dude. The Dude, from Los Angeles. And even if he's a lazy man - and the Dude was most certainly that. Quite possibly the laziest in all of Los Angeles County, which would place him high in the runnin' for laziest worldwide. Sometimes there's a man, sometimes, there's a man. Well, I lost my train of thought here. But... aw, hell. I've done introduced it enough.

/edit Tumbling Tumbleweeds is key too
Old 06-30-2006, 11:55 AM

SL_72,

Agreed, beautiful intro. In fact, I'll go out on a limb and say that Sam Elliot has the greatest voice of cinema. Yes, even better than James Earl Jones (though it's close). Just take the radio-ads from the "beef council of America," where Elliot urges us to eat more steak. Just listening to those spots makes me hunger for some (to quote one of our great posters) flesh.

Swede
Old 07-01-2006, 08:00 AM

Belly

openning scene. case closed.
Old 04-29-2007, 02:57 AM

For the first time in a couple of decades, I just watched the opening scene to Harold and Maude, where Harold hangs himself and his mother walks in, and found it perfect.

I know a lot of people don't like this flick, but I can't find any fault with it. My only question is, how did it get made? I can't see it being made today. Too quirky.
Old 04-29-2007, 03:36 AM

Default Lord of War w/ clip

Life of a bullet.

Manufacturing of a bullet. Shipping of the bullet internationally. Loaded, fired. Pauses just before going through someones head.

opening clip...lord of war

b