Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-30-2006, 11:12 PM

Default some progressively iffier slowplays

progressive slowplays:

Over my past couple of reviews I've gotten repeaded suggestions to slow down a bit with cont bets when HU. I've been pretty uncomfortable with the whole concept because I don't know that it maximizes our positional advantage.

these are all headsup, the hands will get progressively weaker, and I have an aggressive villain.

any of these seem like good candidates to let a brutha catch a pair or find a bluff?

[/ QUOTE ]

Poker Stars
Limit Holdem Ring game
Limit: $2/$4
6 players
Converter

Pre-flop: (6 players) Guruman is SB with K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
2 folds, CO calls, Button folds, <font color="#cc0000">Guruman raises</font>, BB folds, CO calls.

Flop: Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (4SB, 2 players)
<font color="#cc0000">Guruman checks</font>

[/ QUOTE ]

Poker Stars
Limit Holdem Ring game
6 players
Converter

Pre-flop: (6 players) Guruman is CO with A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
2 folds, <font color="#cc0000">Guruman raises</font>, 2 folds, BB calls.

Flop: Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (4.5SB, 2 players)
BB checks, <font color="#cc0000">Guruman checks</font>

[/ QUOTE ]

Poker Stars
Limit Holdem Ring game
6 players
Converter

Pre-flop: (6 players) Guruman is Button with A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
3 folds, <font color="#cc0000">Guruman raises</font>, SB folds, BB calls.

Flop: 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (4.5SB, 2 players)
BB checks, <font color="#cc0000">Guruman checks</font>

[/ QUOTE ]

Poker Stars
Limit Holdem Ring game
2 players
Converter

Pre-flop: (2 players) Guruman is BB with Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
SB calls, <font color="#cc0000">Guruman raises</font>, SB calls.

Flop: 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (2SB, 2 players)
SB checks, <font color="#cc0000">Guruman checks</font>
Old 06-30-2006, 11:26 PM

Default Re: some progressively iffier slowplays

1) Bet, check-raise the turn, or bet 3-bet. I just think he probably has some part of this.
2) Meh, I don't know. Bet/Call down
3) nh if it'll induce bluffs
4) nh if it'll induce bluffs
Old 06-30-2006, 11:29 PM

Third one is the only one with solid merit but I would still bet as a default. The first two are quite poor imo.
Old 07-01-2006, 12:20 AM

I just a new limit player but i have to say I would default to betting out with all of these since the caller would seem to have a peice of this flop and be willing to give action anyhow and if not will likely smell a trap when the pre flop raiser fails to continue on the flop with these type flops that likely hit him.

Additionally and just as important I think this sort of play seriously damages your ability to bluff these players in the future since you are showing a tendency to slow play too much.

However if i have a specific read on an opponent that is giving me trouble with position on me i will sometimes check/call with a Cr on the turn or river depending on the level of agression they are putting out on me. This is more to slow them down on me in the future more than for the best way to play that perticular hand though and i probably give up alittle value on these particular hands.
Old 07-01-2006, 01:59 AM

Nice first post dude. Welcome.
Old 07-01-2006, 02:20 AM

Honestly I hate them all. 3 is the best of the worst. 1&amp;2 are absurd because those are flops he's likely to hit. 4 is bad because he's too likely to improve to something that bets you.
Old 07-01-2006, 03:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Honestly I hate them all. 3 is the best of the worst. 1&amp;2 are absurd because those are flops he's likely to hit. 4 is bad because he's too likely to improve to something that bets you.

[/ QUOTE ]

I concur. I cont bet SO much after a PFR HU that it screams 'I have the nuts' if I c/c after PFR HU. Now c/r the turn on some of these I don't mind at all. I suppose if you played these guys all the time and found some value in it for the future or if the guy had your number I could like it more.

I suppose I'll get hell for not slowplaying if I ever get around to doing hand reviews.
Old 07-01-2006, 03:50 AM

I bet all 4 of these.

3 really concerns me. The big blind is known to be aggressive and we have flush draw, possible straight draw etc.. If they are going to turn luckbox on me, they're paying me on the flop.
Old 07-01-2006, 06:36 AM

I think all of the "Guruman slowplay haters" should take a look at this thread and consider whether or not any of the ideas considered there have merit in these hands. Also I think you should consider pot size, no. of outs villain holds and the fact that villain is aggressive.

I'm not saying I think all of these are correct, but I think you all defaulted into bet-bet-bet mode without considering why Guruman made these plays in these exact situations and what advantages these plays have.
Old 07-02-2006, 10:53 AM

FWIW the action on all of these hands was actually this:

guru bets, villain folds.

I just about never check through vs one guy, but the post that mvoss linked to there has gotten me to think about reconsidering. I actually do check through quite a lot when I'm playing a strictly headsup match, but the dynamics there can be quite different from a blind war in a pure metagame sense.

with that said, I'm going to experiment on checking through some select flops after a pfr if the guy isnt too tight.

of the above hands, I'd only consider that with 1 and 3.

I think its far too dangerous with hands 2 and 4.