Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-30-2006, 06:18 PM

Default A8s defense - TT8 flop

<font color="green"> No read on opponent. </font>

PokerStars 2/4 Hold'em (5 handed)

Preflop: Hero is SB with 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>.
<font color="green"> How's my PF call? I was hoping to bring in BB also. </font>

Flop: (5 SB) T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP bets</font>, Hero calls.
<font color="green"> I'm pretty clueless about what to do here. If I'm best here, my opponent probably has big Aces w/ 5 outs. </font>

Turn: (3.50 BB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>
<font color="green"> I'm a donker now. Any thoughts or suggestions? </font>
Old 06-30-2006, 06:23 PM

Default Re: A8s defense - TT8 flop

On the flop, I would either donk/3bet or check/raise. If villain has overcards, he's got 5 or 6 outs, and I want to get a lot of money in while I'm ahead. As played, I think the turn is fine, since you don't want it checking through.
Old 06-30-2006, 06:25 PM

I would 3-bet this preflopp as MP effectivly is CO in this hand and i like A8s against his range.
Old 06-30-2006, 06:27 PM

I might check raise the flop because he'll have to call a check raise and he might not call the turn donk. As played I like it. I think this is the best way to play the hand against an opponent on which you have no reads because you don'[t know if you shoulld three bet him preflop or not.

PF I think I'd rather 3-bet than call here. You have a show-downable hand and it'd be nice to get it heads-up. That said, without any stats on the guy I'm leaning towards a fold. Could be way off though.
This seems like a good flop to check-raise. You're ahead here a lot and you will often get paid off to the river by Ax, and lower pair hands.

I would 3-bet preflop if I'm gonna play, bet flop and turn. As played, I check-raise the flop, bet turn.
Old 06-30-2006, 07:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I would 3-bet preflop if I'm gonna play, bet flop and turn. As played, I check-raise the flop, bet turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. By the way, your [OP] font color makes me want to drink V-8 for some reason.
Old 06-30-2006, 07:50 PM

Preflop, I would most likely either 3-bet or fold. (I don't really want the BB coming along all that much, and although I like my hand, I'm not crazy about it either.)

Given your call, there are different approaches you could take to postflop. Most often, I would begin with a checkraise.

Your postflop line is okay too.

Villain is either ahead or if he's not probably has like 2-10 outs (usually 5 or 6 outs, I'd imagine). Your line doesn't give him the correct odds to call with, say, KQ, but there's nothing you can do to give him really terrible odds with that hand, and on average he's going to have the odds (since sometimes he'll be ahead). So you're rooting for a fold, really (although of course he won't fold a better hand).

It's not easy to get Villain to make a big Fundamental Theorem of Poker mistake here, and unfortunately sometimes you'll end up being the one who makes it. Or I guess what I really mean is that it's not going to be easy to outplay your opponent substantially postflop over the long run in this hand.
Old 06-30-2006, 08:19 PM

I wasn't sure about PF. I'm not use to playing the 1/2SB structure, and I figured I'd let the BB in. I'd have to reconsider this.

On the flop, the reason I didn't c/r was I figured it let's my opponent 3-bet me which I probably have outs to call. I don't see the benefits of that, since my opponent will only be putting in 2 bets on the flop when behind &amp; I'll be putting in 3 bets when behind.
Old 06-30-2006, 09:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
On the flop, the reason I didn't c/r was I figured it let's my opponent 3-bet me which I probably have outs to call. I don't see the benefits of that, since my opponent will only be putting in 2 bets on the flop when behind &amp; I'll be putting in 3 bets when behind.

[/ QUOTE ]
You'll be 3-bet by overcards a fair amount of the time.