Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-30-2006, 10:20 AM

Default Re: nut straight, three hearts, 235BB behind versus 64/12

[ QUOTE ]
I don't think the A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] in your hand makes nearly as much difference as everyone is making it out to.

[/ QUOTE ]

We're not saying he needs to have the nuts; we're saying that our holding a heart makes it slightly less likely for him to have two. And we know he does not have the nuts.

[ QUOTE ]
I don't know if I'm real hot on the turn bet. This guy probably isn't folding a better hand or a FD, I'd consider a free card.

[/ QUOTE ]

Our hand is the best hand on the turn quite often, and the fact that Villain won't fold a FD is only more reason to bet. I can understand checking, but not for the reasons you gave.
Old 06-30-2006, 10:22 AM

When I make this call at NL100 (not lower) becasue I thought "He wouldn't make such a large bet unless he wanted me to fold" I virtually always lose. They always show me the hand they were representing.

So I fold.
Old 06-30-2006, 10:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Our hand is the best hand on the turn quite often, and the fact that Villain won't fold a FD is only more reason to bet. I can understand checking, but not for the reasons you gave.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, that didn't really come out right. We're obviously getting value from a FD when he incorrectly calls the turn. How often do you second barrell against a guy like this when you've got position?
Old 06-30-2006, 10:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
When I make this call at NL100 (not lower) becasue I thought "He wouldn't make such a large bet unless he wanted me to fold" I virtually always lose. They always show me the hand they were representing.

So I fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have noticed the same thing. I used to think like that and after I lost enough to huge river bets, I started folding.
Old 06-30-2006, 10:35 AM

Unless I have a read that the guy overly goes AI, then I would fold. The fact that he wants to see so many flops shows that there's a good chance he had crappy hearts.

I say live to fight him in better situations, b/c he'll make more readable slip-ups. The fact that you've shown some dope hands does make him more scared of you. If he bet the pot or less, I would say it's an easy call.

I don't think he wants to scare you away. I think HE thinks he has a legitimate shot at getting your money in a showdown.

BTW, I'm a relative beginner at 40NL live. This is just my 2 cents. peace
Old 06-30-2006, 10:50 AM

Call - he could not possibly put you on a straight, maybe he thinks you have an over pair and hit his 2nd pair on the river or was slow playing a set, or quite possibly has AJ too. Don't let the scare card scare you
Old 06-30-2006, 10:56 AM

In my experience overbets like this on the river mean the nuts or close to it.

CO's logic is: "Hero has shown strength on all 3 previous streets, so he must have a strong hand. So if I bet all in he will call me"
Old 06-30-2006, 12:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
2. Villian played this hand exactly like a flush draw.

[/ QUOTE ]
Ding, this one gets my vote all the way. He didn't just bluff the scare card, his entire line looks like the draw.

The one other reason is that if you lose here you'll have to rebuild your stack.
Old 06-30-2006, 12:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
With stacks this deep and a maniac image i call a pf raise with J9s all day long. Is that a horrible mistake?

[/ QUOTE ]
Stack depth makes a big difference, but OOP, personally I think this is mistake. Depends on how well you play draws OOP though; I suck at it.

A more specific question that might lead to some interesting discussion is, against a competent opponent, at what stack size does it become fruitful to call a pfr OOP w/ J9s?
Old 06-30-2006, 01:01 PM

the fear of losing your stack that took forever to build up should not be a deciding factor in this. You should only be concerned with making the correct decision. That being said...you are really in a tough spot. i think this is were you just have to go with that gut feeling.