Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-30-2006, 05:51 AM

Default Yet another limit-donk NL convert

Hi guys,

I have decided to spend the next few months actively working on my shorthanded NL game, so I will be posting in this forum while I develop my skills. I'm starting out at 1/2 6 max, so far I've found the game to be incredibly easy to beat just by exploiting position. Stackbusting doesn't even seem that important compared to building pots in position and opting out of them when out of position, and exploiting position for all its worth postflop. I know this is a basic concept but it has been a revelation so far just how easy it is to profit without even really playing big pots or necessarily flopping big hands.

Anyway just wanted to make an introductory post before I start spamming this forum, though I do have one question. What do you guys think is a good goal to set myself before moving up to 400 NL? 30 buyins? 50K hands at a respectable winrate? Thanks.
Old 06-30-2006, 09:00 AM

Default Re: Yet another limit-donk NL convert

I started out with NL, mostly tournaments, switched to limit for 2 years, now find myself back with NL cash games.

My best advice is to watch the following hands:

1) TPMK
2) Draws OOP
3) Overpairs, especially small ones, OOP
4) Probably best but won't be by the showdown hands multiway (bottom 2 pair is a prime example)
5) Playing out of the blinds

You want to maintain an image that gets paid of reasonably to maximise winrate, although it doesnt mean you need to be a total lag to do this, just make them think you're raising more then sets.

One concept you should understand quickly is pot control; look at the above hand examples, and think of how to employ pot control to minimise, and why betting certain turns or raising some flops might be a bad idea depending on the scenario.

Good luck!