Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Computer Technical Help
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-29-2006, 04:45 PM

Default Re: Running Windows on a MacBook Pro 17\"

k i talked to someone about my previous question and got it answered, now i just need a single disc install of windows XP with sp2 already on it, no update CD or earlier version allowed.

Does ANYONE know what you have to buy to get this CD?
Because i have a ton of friends getting college laptops and they all seem to not get the actual windows xp install disc with it somehow. Is purchasing windows XP at a store the only way to get the disc, or should at least someone i know have it who recently purchased a new computer?
Old 06-29-2006, 07:48 PM

You have an install disc with XP/SP1. Download SP2 from Microsoft. Then follow the build instructions here:

http://www.helpwithwindows.com/Windo...p2-bootcd.html

FWIW, I have a 15" MacBook Pro with a Windows partition (created via Boot Camp, as I was not aware of the Parallels VM-ware when I did my setup), and I *love* this machine. Yes, you have to reboot to run Windows, but when you do, it runs just as you would expect it to. Also, the process where Boot Camp creates the correct Windows drivers for you and saves them to a CD could not be easier.

Enjoy your new computer.
Old 06-30-2006, 02:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You have an install disc with XP/SP1. Download SP2 from Microsoft. Then follow the build instructions here:

http://www.helpwithwindows.com/Windo...p2-bootcd.html

FWIW, I have a 15" MacBook Pro with a Windows partition (created via Boot Camp, as I was not aware of the Parallels VM-ware when I did my setup), and I *love* this machine. Yes, you have to reboot to run Windows, but when you do, it runs just as you would expect it to. Also, the process where Boot Camp creates the correct Windows drivers for you and saves them to a CD could not be easier.

Enjoy your new computer.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have a 2 week old 15" mb pro and I LOVE IT

it was 3k but worth every single penny. it runs windows and partypoker/pt/pahud flawlessly. you will get a couple of kinks in the first couple days you run windows because the driver package the apple designed isnt quite 100% perfect. for example, under the initial setup if you plug headphones into the jack it wont stop sound from coming through the speakers, so you cant run it in a quiet environment. i solved this by searching some messageboards and finding the right drivers. i also had trouble setting up my fp2001 on it, the desktop was showing up horizontally for some reason, but I was able to fix that.

other than one or two things like that, it is great. the actual laptop is very thin and light, and the screen is excellent. the book runs totally quiet, there is no fan noise.

basically, if you heard about the new intel line and thought "wow that might be the perfect setup for me, i wonder if it can legitimately run windows for real, is the bootcamp system a viable alternative?", the answer is yes. its great, i love this computer.
Old 06-30-2006, 02:48 AM

Location: tell them ill be here when they come 4 me, me and every single n1gga dat got love 4 me, see i got money on my mind, but the haters wont leave me alone, so im ridin everyday wit every pistol dat i own

wats the resolution on the 17'? and i curious if u guys are just web browsing and dont plan on playing poker do you use apples software or just use windows?
sorry i suck at computers
Old 06-30-2006, 01:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
wats the resolution on the 17'? and i curious if u guys are just web browsing and dont plan on playing poker do you use apples software or just use windows?
sorry i suck at computers

[/ QUOTE ]

The whole point of buying a Mac is to stop using windows completely. That's the beauty of parallels - use windows for poker only, OSX for everything else.

Damn, I want a new computer.
Old 06-30-2006, 05:45 PM

Location: tell them ill be here when they come 4 me, me and every single n1gga dat got love 4 me, see i got money on my mind, but the haters wont leave me alone, so im ridin everyday wit every pistol dat i own

so is OSX that much better than windows? so buying a mac noteboook just to play poker prolly isnt worth it?
Old 06-30-2006, 06:44 PM

Buying a mac notebook solely to play poker is a total waste of money.
Old 07-01-2006, 11:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The whole point of buying a Mac is to stop using windows completely.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, that is the main one, but there are other very good reasons to get a macbook instead of a dell/toshiba/etc laptop.

Just place a 15in mb pro on top of a dell laptop and you will see the difference. It's simply a thinner, lighter and better made machine, and if you travel a lot it is definitely worth it. Apple's support record is also much better than average.

The downside to buying a macbook is that they are much more expensive. They will cost you a lot of money. Mine ended up being 3k or so, but given the way I use it is worth every single penny. It blows away clunky dells and toshibas, there are very good reasons that people are going apeshit and love them.

The other thing is that Apple are super duper secretive about new technology release, so its always possible that Apple will release their new technology a week after you buy your book. I don't think that is a big deal because there are a lot of downsides to buying a new line of laptops in their first production run. It's definitely not a reason to avoid macs.

Now that macs can truly run windows as well if you need it, bootcamp is a legitimate and working option. It's not some crappy slow emulator like before.

The complaints about overheating are extremely exagerrated, that's all I have to say. I could explain more but I have to run.