Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-29-2006, 03:27 PM

Default Re: 2/4nl 6max video

Sorta off topic, but although I can hear the video I can't see it. I am running a Mac. Any one have an indea why?
Old 06-29-2006, 03:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Sorta off topic, but although I can hear the video I can't see it. I am running a Mac. Any one have an indea why?

[/ QUOTE ]

It is encoded as a .WMV file so I think only windows media player will work. I would have used .avi but the file size was about 3 times bigger and the quality was quite a bit worse. Sorry about that, don't know if there is any way around that with a mac.

-SmileyEH
Old 06-29-2006, 03:37 PM

I'm glad most everyone enjoyed the video. It's cool to be able to give back to the community and whatnot-I've been posting strategy for almost 2 years now and have kind of gotten sick of it so this is a nice change of pace. These are fun to make, expect more in the future!

-SmileyEH
Old 06-29-2006, 03:42 PM

I really enjoyed the video, better than most of stoxtrader's offerings.

In the AJo vs KQs hand, you flop top two and just call his flop bet planning on getting it in on the turn. Vs a really bad player, do you ever like just raising the flop figuring he'll push with a wide holding? I always find a flop call and turn push much scarier than just raising the flop. Give him a chance to push his stack in instead of calling it off.

Also with smaller raises in late position. I like this plan against tough opposition in the blinds. Vs weak players I like trying to inflate the pot as much as possible preflop since they tend to just go away after a flop bet. Same with bad players, since they'll tend to put more money in incorrectly. I don't think there is anything wrong with raising 3xBB vs a very good bb you respect, and just keep raising 3.5-4bb against players you're happy to play with. If they're bad enough you want to inflate the pot just a little bit preflop, they're bad enough to call with everything they would've called a 3bb raise vs a 3.5-4 bb raise.
Old 06-29-2006, 03:43 PM

Thanks Smiley. You da man. [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]+1
Old 06-29-2006, 04:26 PM

4:30 - ATo two spots off the button you say is "an easy raise from here" I disagree. I'll raise a lot of suited aces from there but ATo rarely makes a hand that I can win much with or semi-bluff with and four players left to act makes it too difficult to take the pot down. You'll be playing the pot OOP much of the time with something like top pair crappy kicker, or second pair (or ace high). AJo I usually raise. It's close.

8:30 - button openlimps, sb calls, you have AJo in the bb. Not sure what reads you had on the button but I think I'd go ahead and raise to $20 there because these weak players tend to fold a lot, you are way ahead of his range, and if you just check and make top pair these guys usually don't spew for you at all -- they might stab once at the flop and shut down.

13:30 - button openlimps, you call from sb with A2o and checkfold a flop of 942. I don't like this. I'd fold preflop usually, but if I did call I'd bet that flop. It's unlikely that the button has made a pair and there's a chance the bb will fold middle pair for you.

I have my HH windows stretched vertically so that I can see the entire HH without scrolling.

21:00 - You are really good at flopping aces up, please explain. He overbet-pushes the turn, INSTACALL.

22:30 - crazy dude pushes for $18 preflop, you reraise to $50 with 99 to isolate with 3 players left to act. Obviously I'm not folding but raising might be a little reckless. Often I just call there; it's not that big of a deal if another player calls. It's a protected pot so worse hands are not profiting by overcalling. If you were afraid that just calling would induce another player to raise to isolate with weakish hands like AQ or 77 then it would make more sense to just isolate to deprive them the opportunity to put a play on you. But your opponents seemed to be playing straightforward.

27:00 - AKo UTG, shortie calls and flop is QJx, you give up and didn't like it, I think the decision to bet or just give up there is close enough to not matter much either way.
Old 06-29-2006, 04:28 PM

Soah,

Post more here! You were mainly responsible for the leaps and bounds my game was making before the forum split.

Oh, and I agree with all of your comments. Glad to see I'm not the only one that thinks the AJ was an insta-call. AA and JJ play that way just about never.

Could you make a video plz?????
Old 06-29-2006, 04:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]

4:30 - ATo two spots off the button you say is "an easy raise from here" I disagree. I'll raise a lot of suited aces from there but ATo rarely makes a hand that I can win much with or semi-bluff with and four players left to act makes it too difficult to take the pot down. You'll be playing the pot OOP much of the time with something like top pair crappy kicker, or second pair (or ace high). AJo I usually raise. It's close.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hm, I really don't think twice about raising ATo in this spot. Two bad players in the blinds also makes it an easier rasie imo. UTG i usually fold however.

[ QUOTE ]

8:30 - button openlimps, sb calls, you have AJo in the bb. Not sure what reads you had on the button but I think I'd go ahead and raise to $20 there because these weak players tend to fold a lot, you are way ahead of his range, and if you just check and make top pair these guys usually don't spew for you at all -- they might stab once at the flop and shut down.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you are referring to th ehand where I had ATo in the BB? I would probably raise AJ, but rarely AT unless I knew the button well which I didn't in this case (we had yet to play the monster).

[ QUOTE ]
13:30 - button openlimps, you call from sb with A2o and checkfold a flop of 942. I don't like this. I'd fold preflop usually, but if I did call I'd bet that flop. It's unlikely that the button has made a pair and there's a chance the bb will fold middle pair for you.

[/ QUOTE ]

I usually fold A2o there but button sucks, I dunno about pf or postflop - I think it's pretty meh either way, but you could def. be right about just folding pf.

[ QUOTE ]

21:00 - You are really good at flopping aces up, please explain. He overbet-pushes the turn, INSTACALL.

[/ QUOTE ]

Heh, I was waiting for someone would say that. I don't I seriously considered folding - just wanted to slow things down and be sure [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]. Aces up is a difficult hand to flop - it helps to play any hand with an ace in it because some players fold hands like A6o - thats just throwing away aces up oppourtunities.

[ QUOTE ]
22:30 - crazy dude pushes for $18 preflop, you reraise to $50 with 99 to isolate with 3 players left to act. Obviously I'm not folding but raising might be a little reckless. Often I just call there; it's not that big of a deal if another player calls. It's a protected pot so worse hands are not profiting by overcalling. If you were afraid that just calling would induce another player to raise to isolate with weakish hands like AQ or 77 then it would make more sense to just isolate to deprive them the opportunity to put a play on you. But your opponents seemed to be playing straightforward.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think a raise is standard, but I probably didnt need to raise so much, a minraise or going to $40 is probably better.

[ QUOTE ]
27:00 - AKo UTG, shortie calls and flop is QJx, you give up and didn't like it, I think the decision to bet or just give up there is close enough to not matter much either way.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think that if I bet he is going to push any draw and any Q or J, on that board I feel like I'm getting raised more than 50% of the time. I agree though, it is close either way.

Thanks for commenting on all these hands! Much appreciated.

-SmileyEH
Old 06-29-2006, 05:40 PM

Good video. Just switched over from limit and it is good to see my play isn't much different from you.
Old 06-29-2006, 07:22 PM

Seems fine. Nothin' much out of the ordinary.