Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-29-2006, 12:30 PM

Default Re: ($225) AQ played passively vs JohnnyBax

So you're putting him on a 3 barrel bluff here?

Ryan
Old 06-29-2006, 12:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Why are you all gung-ho about raising this flop?

There are no draws and it would turn things into a WA/WB situation. He's not calling a flop raise with any worse hands.

Ryan

[/ QUOTE ]

You're allowing him to blow you off your hand too often

[/ QUOTE ]
How often is he 3-barrel bluffing OOP in a limped 4-way pot? Not often i'd venture. How often is he value betting a worse hand this aggressively? Again, not often I'd venture. Postflop is fine.
Old 06-29-2006, 12:33 PM

Raise preflop.
Postflop think about it from villians perspective your hand doesn't look anything like AQ it looks like a much worse hand. Do you have any specific reads outside of the fact he is good? I was under the impression he is a cash game player he could just be screwing around in $225 sng.
Old 06-29-2006, 12:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Raise preflop.
Postflop think about it from villians perspective your hand doesn't look anything like AQ it looks like a much worse hand. Do you have any specific reads outside of the fact he is good? I was under the impression he is a cash game player he could just be screwing around in $225 sng.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hero's hand also looks like a slowplayed set.
Old 06-29-2006, 12:37 PM

Ryan,

I would have raised pre-flop, but post-flop is fine. The turn is a toss up, imo, as to whether or not you should call. Here's the thing. Against some donk, I'd be a lot more willing to put chips into the pot. You have to consider 2 things here. First, villain isn't a donk. I don't think he's leading worse than TPTK on 2 streets (he also led the flop into 3 people). Second thing to consider is that you just moved up to the $215s right and have never played any higher than that... so Bax doesn't know who you are presumably and probably doesn't assume you're solid and can get away from big hands. I don't know. I just don't see him playing Qx like this, or anything else that you're ahead of for that matter.
Old 06-29-2006, 12:38 PM

Pudge,

No. He is almost exclusively a tournament player, although he plays MTTs much more than SNGs.
Old 06-29-2006, 01:36 PM

I really like your play in this hand if you folded the river. I highly doubt he's firing a third barrel out of the BB after leading the flop into 3 other people? There are no draws on this board... wtf bluff hand does he have?

That said he can have KQ or QJ or whatever enough to def call the flop, and probs call turn. River is a definite fold. I can't believe so many people think he's bluffing here. It seems a lot of people on this forum don't try and read hands through from start to finish (by read, I mean hand read, not read read).

Also I'm with ryan g in that I think the flop raise would be pretty awful. He's not bluffing and he'll just fold his worse hands and make money with his better ones.

EDIT: Depending on his tendencies.. and I don't know them personally... I think you can really consider a turn fold... I mean he's just not bluffing. Depends how he'd play TPGK here. By the river I'm fairly certain he has a set. Maybe top two.
Old 06-29-2006, 01:46 PM

I agree. I almost did fold turn. It's marginal, but I wanted to see if he'd shut down on river. The fact he kept potting it made me figure he had something quite big :/

Ryan
Old 06-29-2006, 01:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So you're putting him on a 3 barrel bluff here?

Ryan

[/ QUOTE ]

hes one of the only higher limit stars STTers that do it well. but also, having sweated bax A LOT, if you keep calling down its also possible that he was simply value-betting a worse hand, and i think this is the main argument vs bax for raising at some point in the hand.
Old 06-29-2006, 01:56 PM

Ryan,

Since you started the thread, you can be the one to tell me when you'd like me to post my HH.

Hopefully, you won't mind it in the raw Pokerstars format, as I hate being called a villain.

Bax