Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-29-2006, 02:59 AM

Default Where do I get away from this?

I'm pretty stellar at getting stacked with top two, how could I play this differently? The size of the preflop raise is certainly a misclick.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ Hero (6 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

saw flop|<font color="#C00000">saw showdown</font>

SB ($118.10)
<font color="#C00000">Hero ($109.55)</font>
<font color="#C00000">UTG ($86.50)</font>
MP ($119.38)
CO ($57.40)
Button ($87.91)

Preflop: Hero is BB with Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. SB posts a blind of $0.50.
UTG calls $1, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, SB (poster) completes, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $3</font>, UTG calls $2, SB calls $2.

Flop: ($9) Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $6</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG raises to $22</font>, SB folds, Hero calls $16.

Turn: ($53) 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets $10</font>, Hero calls $10.

River: ($73) 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets $25</font>, Hero calls $25.

Final Pot: $123
Old 06-29-2006, 03:12 AM

Default Re: Where do I get away from this?

I am cool with the river call. I might have raised the turn, because I would be willing to put all my money in on that board. If the villan has AT, well he is going to stack me, but I think he might have top pair or a weaker two pair often enough to justify getting my money in. It is likly that the villan might actually read the hero for AK and have two pair himself.

I could not get away, but may be I need to learn something about the game. I just could not put enough weight on a flopped set or two pair.

If he happened to have 88, well that sucks, but I know he made a weak flop call.
Old 06-29-2006, 03:27 AM

I think the flop is push or fold because it's so draw heavy. Also, if you call $22 from UTG, he has less than a PSB left on the turn. Doubtful you get to showdown without all his money in the middle, though in this case, he let you. Still, I think if you want to continue, you should just push the flop. As far as this flop, this is a tough one. Your really not crushing anything besides a worse two pair. Though it would be really tough to fold. Just go with your gut, but if your gut tells you your ahead, shove.

Also, BTW, AIM me again, not sure what happened to the first one you sent, but I think I accidentally deleted it [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]
Old 06-29-2006, 03:28 AM

I think the flop raise has to be at least pot sized. Overbet is not out of the question here. Betting 2/3 pot is definitely not enough to price anyone out on a flop that is this drawy. With 2 pair on a board like this, I want to take the pot down NOW.

As played after the flop, I think it is fine. You have showdown value vs 1 pair, which is what you will be shown a ton of the time. Based on betting, I'm more apt to believe you are ahead than behind, but I like the safe play here, as the pot is already a big one.
Old 06-29-2006, 03:29 AM

why would we want to get away from this?

get it all in baby
Old 06-29-2006, 03:29 AM

id have lost more, cuz id have reraised the flop and called a push
Old 06-29-2006, 03:47 AM

Ok, if shoving is standard I guess I've just been running horribly. In my last five or six sessions I've shoved in these situations and villain has tabled the idiot end of the straight every single time. I thought maybe it was a leak in my game that I was overplaying top two on drawy boards but perhaps it's just the bad end of variance making me gunshy.
Old 06-29-2006, 03:50 AM

with reads this is foldable but it would have to be a pretty good read for only 100 bbs
Old 06-29-2006, 03:53 AM

I lead the turn for about 2/3 of the pot.

I guess this is another example of how hard it sucks to have anything but a monster out of position, or to have no read. I wish we knew if he's the type to slowplay the straight or not.
Old 06-29-2006, 03:56 AM

oh god yea I forgot, definitely lead turn if you haven't already pushed the flop