Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-28-2006, 10:51 AM

Default Re: $11, Playing a medium pair in position against cbet

Is calling PF and playing for set value really that bad? From my perspective, I've got nearly 50x the BB, it seems like the perfect time to hope villain has a big hand, and will overplay it.
Old 06-28-2006, 11:04 AM

Calling preflop wouldn't be bad for value if there were more people in the pot. When you hit your trips you want to make sure you get paid off and vs. one opponent with four people left to act behind you that can reraise you, I don't think this is the spot for that.

Also, I'd probably raise the flop if I'm in the hand.
Old 06-28-2006, 11:25 AM

Ok, looks like people agree that folding preflop and raising the flop is best here. For further discussion: would you call with 99 in the same spot? TT? would calling be ok on the button with 88? How much should the flopraise be in this hand?

Thanks for everyones thoughts so far.
Old 06-28-2006, 11:26 AM

a) the point is, you have no clue if he has AQ+ or JJ+, so the "defend against cb theory" doesn't work that well. May be he is just betting for value.

b) If you played your 88 for set value, why do you call then if you did not hit?

c) calling preflop for set value is much more useful if you close the betting, that is a very important thing to understand, because if some active player behind you raises to lets say 400, what are you doing then? You don't get the odds to call and if you fold you just lost 8% of your stack without even seeing a flop. Another thing with calling a medium raise for set value is, that it is much more probable that you loose set under set against a preflop raiser than against a preflop limper.
Old 06-28-2006, 11:29 AM

you answered it by yourself: you have no clue here, where you stand. You can call until the river to find out that you are behind, or you fold the turn or the river and your opponent enjoys showing his unimproved AQ.

to find out were you are you need to raise.
Old 06-28-2006, 11:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
a) the point is, you have no clue if he has AQ+ or JJ+, so the "defend against cb theory" doesn't work that well. May be he is just betting for value.

b) If you played your 88 for set value, why do you call then if you did not hit?

c) calling preflop for set value is much more useful if you close the betting, that is a very important thing to understand, because if some active player behind you raises to lets say 400, what are you doing then? You don't get the odds to call and if you fold you just lost 8% of your stack without even seeing a flop. Another thing with calling a medium raise for set value is, that it is much more probable that you loose set under set against a preflop raiser than against a preflop limper.

[/ QUOTE ]

a) yes, of course he could be betting for value, that's not the point here. The point of the defence is to find out if he is betting for value or if he is making a continuation bet. If he checks the turn it was probably a cbet and we often take down the pot with a bet.

b) and c) never said I was calling for set value