Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-27-2006, 01:34 AM

Default My Workout Routine [No Questions - just answers...]

edit: note - By "No Questions - just answers" I mean "I don't have any questions, but I'd be happy to answer yours."

This is the workout routine that I will follow for approximately 6-8 weeks after my cruise. I will likely return with a few unnecessary pounds, plus my routine I started in January aimed at fat loss was a bit more aggressive than it should have been and I'm not looking as good as I'd like to.

I am not sure of which days I will work which muscles; however, I am 99% sure this is how I will split them. My goal is to gain 5lbs of lean bodyweight without gaining any additional fat. If my metabolism has not changed in the past few years, I may even lose a pound of fat or two.

Routine is shown in this format [Exercise] - [sets]x[reps]

Note on reps: For all exercises, the # of reps is my target. If I can do at least <Target> minus 2 reps, I will try the same weight next week. If I cannot, I will drop down to the previous weight.

For example, if my goal is to curl 105lbs for 6 reps, I will try 100lbs the following week if I cannot do at least 4 reps. If I can do at least 4 reps, I will continue trying to do 105lbs for 6 reps until I do it or I can't do at least 4.

Leg Day
Squats - 3x6
Leg Extensions - 2x6
Stiff Legged Deadlift - 3x6
Lying Leg Curls - 2x6
Standing Calf Raises - 3x10
Seated Calf Raises - 3x15

Arms & Abs Day
Skull Crushers - 3x6
Cable Pushdowns - 2x6
Straight Bar BB Curls - 3x6
Seated DB Curls - 2x6
Hanging Straight Leg Raises - 3x12
Weighted Crunches - 3x10

Back/Traps Day
Deadlifts - 4x4
Pullups - 3x6
DB Pullovers - 2x6
Shrugs - 3x6
Back Hyperextensions - 3x10

Shoulders/Chest Day
Seated Military Press(in front of the neck, of course) - 3x6
Seated DB Press - 2x6
Bench Press - 3x6
Incline DB Press - 2x6

-------------------------------------

Most likely leg day will be Wednesday, because I fence on Tuesdays and Saturdays. This will give my legs maximum rest time. I don't know about the rest of the days yet.

Questions welcome. I'll answer in the next 30 minutes or late tomorrow night when I get home. I like my job too much to goof off on OOT while at work. Weird eh?
Old 06-28-2006, 12:24 AM

Default Re: My Workout Routine [No Questions - just answers...]

I'm incorporating a leg workout into my routine tomorrow. What would you reccomend for a beginner, weight wise. I'm about 5'9", 155 pounds. I'm not the strongest guy in the world, but I want to make sure I am putting in some work.
Old 06-28-2006, 01:15 AM

I recommend that you find someone who knows how to squat and have them teach you. The squat is the absolute best exercise for leg development. There is NO substitute that will get you the same type of gains.

However, if done incorrectly, you can and will hurt yourself (plus limit its effectiveness).

So... until you can find someone to teach you, do leg presses instead and follow up with leg extensions or lunges.

Leg curls (standing or lying) are good for hamstrings... I wouldn't recommend stiff legged deadlifts to a beginner because you'll want to get some strength into your lower back before you give it a try. The goal is to keep your legs straight (or even SLIGHTLY bent) and bend at the waist while keeping your back straight. You'll know you're doing it right if you feel a stretch in your hamstrings, but no pain in your back.

For calves, there's not much you can do except calf raises. You can also try doing calf raises on the leg press machine (keep the locking pegs in place when you do this).

Be sure to do both standing and seated calf raises, because seated calf raises focus a more on the soleus muscles ("side" calves) and you won't get as much development to that area from standing alone.

p.s. at 5'9" 155lbs make sure you eat a ton. If you ever feel hungry throughout the day, you're not eating enough.
Old 06-28-2006, 07:33 AM

I started working out last week and I've been eating pretty liberally, but I haven't been eating a lot of junky food. I can tell that my abs are tightening up and getting toned, but I still have a little flab around my stomach.

Will this go away as I continue my workouts even though I am eating a ton? Or do I need to include something like a daily cardio plan?
Old 06-28-2006, 08:17 AM

At your size the last thing you want to do if you want to get bigger is cardio. What little fat you have will go away with time as you build muscle.
Old 06-28-2006, 10:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Questions welcome. I'll answer in the next 30 minutes or late tomorrow night when I get home. I like my job too much to goof off on OOT while at work. Weird eh?

[/ QUOTE ]

So what job do you do Warik and why do you like it so much?