Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-25-2006, 04:38 PM

Default Re: Stud 8 Book thoughts

Another change to alert people to. In my discussion of four-lows on fifth street, I state in the text to fold heads-up if the low draw doesn't look like it can hit a high too. I've changed this to state "heads-up or three-way," as if you've got one player who looks to be a lock for the high and you don't look like you'll scoop (e.g. 3478K vs. open big pair) proceeding can be quite dangerous. The original version states heads-up, but if it's three-way that can be just as bad of a decision too.

Note also I have an MS Word version of the text if anyone would like that to jot down some thoughts on.

Paul
Old 06-25-2006, 06:37 PM

Default New Stud 8 Book Coming Soon!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am not qualified to amend your manuscript so forgive if I do not ask for a copy of it. I just wanted to say that I hope it succeeds.
Old 06-25-2006, 09:10 PM

Default Re: New Stud 8 Book Coming Soon!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]) I hope it does too!
Paul
Old 06-27-2006, 03:43 PM

I like your book. I do have a question. In the odds section it shows different odds to catch a low when you have 4 cards to it with 4 people or 8 people when the same number of low cards are live. I don't understand why the odds are different when the same number or outs are there.
According to the odds in the book the chances are better to catch a low when 8 players are in as opposed to 4.

Same for 4 flushes except according to the odds it is more in your favor to catch with 3 players than with 5 with the same amount of live outs.

Can you elaborate on why this is?

I will make more comments about the strategy when I reread it. I think it is a very good text, but I haven't read many stud8 texts. I have read Todd Brunson's advice in SS2. I also ordered Hi/Lo split poker on amazon by Ray Zee.

I like your text, as it really has step by step advice for every situation in stud8. It seems pretty much like basic strategy which is exactly what you need to beat the low limits. After I read the book I played some 2/4 and booked a $14 loss which would have been much worse had I not found more situations to lay hands down in high variance slightly losing propositions. After that session I had a $107 win.

I'd say this book has increased my BB/100 by quite a bit. It's helped me break some of the bad stud Hi thoughts in stud8. I don't think it's much of a stretch to say this book along with Todd Brunson in SS2 are the best resources for beginning stud8 players.

Part of me wants you to get a publisher for this because it's really good, and part of me doesn't want it out there for all my opponents to read. If you do get it out there in print I'm going to get a hard copy of it.
Old 06-27-2006, 08:50 PM

Hi there,

Thanks for the input. I'll ask Dr. Paul about that one. I just went by what he gave me as he's the math guy and I'm not, though I know basic odds, pot odds, what EV is and that stuff. I think it has something to do with how the number of players does actually have an effect on the odds. He did nice work on the spreadsheets, and I have the odds for every conceivable scenario, but I don't think people want that as it's too much.

I appreciate the kind words and it took a while, but I did find a publisher after my editor at pokermagazine.com encouraged me. He said he'll publish it next spring, and is also interested in a micro-low limit hold 'em book. I've found these games to be quite profitable, and there are great books out there on it but I figured I can play and I can write, so why not another one [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img])

Note too I did make a change to the book on "fifth street draws for lows," talking about the laydown of the low draw if the high has an apparent lock - no need to chase for half of the pot.

Thanks for the input!
Paul
Old 06-28-2006, 01:40 AM

dboy23,

Dr. Paul here. To answer your question, the difference between 8 players still in and four players still in is that even if you have the same number of outs, the number of unknown cards left in each situation is different. On 4th street, if all eight players are still in, then you know 18 cards in the deck (two up cards from each player, plus your two down cards). If only four players make it to 4th street, you know only 14 cards (the eight upcards from 3rd street, 4 from 4th street, and your two downcards). Therefore, if you're trying to catch, say, a 10-outer on 5th street, your odds of making it on that card are 10/(52-18) if 8 players are still in, 10/(52-14) if four players are still in. Hope that helps!

Dr. Paul
Old 06-29-2006, 03:01 AM

I do like the odds section. It really emphasizes playing live cards.
Old 06-30-2006, 12:41 AM

I PMed you my email...look forward to checking it out.
Old 07-03-2006, 05:59 AM

Hello Paul

I just dropped by to say: well done, sir! I just bought the e-book. I hope millions buy the published version and none follow its advise.

Cheers,

Smurf
Old 07-05-2006, 12:05 AM

Paul - I sent a PM to you. Would love to review, if you feel that I have the right background.