Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-26-2006, 06:35 PM

Default Players Changing Seats Around Me

I dominate the small stakes game I play in. I regularly see players changing seats against me. The theory states that seven stud is a non-positional game so why are the moving around me? Is it so because they are fish? They seem to move from my left to my right, what is the sense in that? Anyone?
Old 06-26-2006, 07:15 PM

Default Re: Players Changing Seats Around Me

2 reasons:

1.) While seating is less important in stud than in other games, there is still a positional aspect, especially on 3rd Street as the action move clockwise from the bring-in. Therefore, I prefer looser players on my left and tighter players on my right. This helps me in deciding when to play more marginal hands and allows me to steal more frequently.

2.) People are dumb as [censored]. I can't recall the last time I have been at a game and some old [censored] has requested a seat change button because he had been getting the bring in too often or his cards ran cold for 40 straight minutes.
Old 06-27-2006, 01:42 AM

If I have a choice, I'm sitting in the seat to the left of the biggest sucker available. Second choice would be sitting just to the left of the best player at the table.

In the first case, I want first crack at isolating the bad players in a pot. In the second case, I want to act after the toughest player.

The fish and the tough guy may not be in every pot, but if I play a pot with them, I want to be in good relative position to them.
Old 06-27-2006, 02:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I dominate the small stakes game I play in. I regularly see players changing seats against me. The theory states that seven stud is a non-positional game so why are the moving around me? Is it so because they are fish? They seem to move from my left to my right, what is the sense in that? Anyone?

[/ QUOTE ]

I have a theory. They see you dominating the game. They assume your domination is because you are getting good cards. By moving to your right, they will catch your hands.

Such a scenario isn't all that unusual, and is the sign of a good game.
Old 06-27-2006, 03:21 AM

People are superstitious and will move from unlucky seats to lucky seats. I doubt that your opponents see you as particularly threatening, not because I think you suck or anything, but because I don't think $.25/.50 players are aware enough to see anyone as particularly threatening.

Position does matter in stud.
Old 06-27-2006, 03:46 AM

dude, if you don't think position matters, maybe you aren't the shark you think that you are. Was this all just a post so you could say "I dominate the small stakes game I play in," and tell us about how much your opponents fear you??
Old 06-27-2006, 03:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I have a theory. They see you dominating the game. They assume your domination is because you are getting good cards. By moving to your right, they will catch your hands.

Such a scenario isn't all that unusual, and is the sign of a good game.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for this PhatMack. It makes sense now why players with no sense would be moving seats on me.
Old 06-27-2006, 03:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
dude, if you don't think position matters, maybe you aren't the shark you think that you are. Was this all just a post so you could say "I dominate the small stakes game I play in," and tell us about how much your opponents fear you??

[/ QUOTE ]

BeerMoney,

I have a nice sense of self and do not think being the king of the 25c/50c seven stud game would be any better than being the king of the play money poker 25c/50c game would. I thought it might have gone towards explaining what seemed like a mysterious phenomenon. However, others have put forward valid explanations of this. I am aware that position in stud matters like in all poker but it is determined by the cards dealt not the seating per se. Do I know everything there is to know about seven stud? Hell no!
Old 06-27-2006, 06:46 PM

This and Andy B's post was very enlightening to me.

I had no idea why people would do crap like this.

Superstition and trying to intercept cards, too fargin' funny.

Fierce Lion7