View Poll Results: Well?
1 111 71.61%
2 44 28.39%
Voters: 155. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-27-2006, 04:27 PM

Default Re: Humbuggery

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I'll respond to your only point that makes sense, since its obvious you dont have a clue and are just behing your usual a$$hole self.

[/ QUOTE ]

As far as frequent posters go, Cyrus is definately one of the nice guys.

[/ QUOTE ]

lmao...a recommendation from a peer.
Old 06-27-2006, 04:33 PM

Default Re: Scholarly

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
There is no "freedom of expression" in the Constitution, just freedom of speech...there is a difference.

[/ QUOTE ]And you dare tell me I don't know what I'm talking about!.. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

No, I'm telling you that you dont know how to read, or choose to ignore what you read. Find "Freedom of Expression" in the Constitution...you can't.

The fact that a particular Court extended the meaning of "freedom of speech" to "freedom of expression" is their interpretation, not a fact. A later court can change that. Further, as the dissenting opinions in Texas showed, there was a strong belief on the part of the court that there are limits to freedom of expression, while they could not argue that there are limits to freedom of speech.

That the former is possible, but the latter isnt, is clear evidence that they do not regard freedom of expression as an absolute that can be found in the Constitution.

Learn to think beyond the black and white of whats been decided and think about the reasons why it was decided and the disagreements with it, and you might actually bring some value to a discussion.
Old 06-27-2006, 05:27 PM

Default Re: Burning the Flag Is a Crime

[ QUOTE ]
...or it will be, if this thing passes.

CNN.com

I don't understand how any thinking person, conservative or not, could support this.

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess I am against making flag burning illegal, although I personally find the act to be dispecable.

My question is why is that flag burning is legal and cross burning is illegal? Double standard or am I missing something?
Old 06-27-2006, 06:19 PM

Default Arguably

[ QUOTE ]
Find "Freedom of Expression" in the Constitution...you can't.

[/ QUOTE ] You are confusing the United States Constitution with the Koran, I'm afraid.

[ QUOTE ]
The fact that a particular Court extended the meaning of "freedom of speech" to "freedom of expression" is their interpretation, not a fact.

[/ QUOTE ]Please don't use the word "fact", it's out of place in this context. The Court's interpretation is not some academic commentary; it directs the course of justice and affects every American's life.

[ QUOTE ]
A later court can change that.

[/ QUOTE ] Correct. So you acknowledge that the decisions of the Court do matter. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

And they are not just the Court's "interpretation"...
Old 06-27-2006, 06:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Picture O'Reilly/Limbaugh/Hannity badgering an ACLU lawyer, asking them why they favor burning the flag that OUR SOLDIERS are buried in, and why they want the terrorists to win, etc., and then you'll understand the motivation to have this bill enter the news cycle. I suspect you already understood, anyway.

[/ QUOTE ]

I wouldn't throw O'Reilly in with that group. I haven't heard him talk about the amendment but I'd tend to think he';d consider it a free speech issue- I could be wrong though. Hannity is of course an idiot, and Limbaugh is somewhere between the two on the intelligence spectrum.

[/ QUOTE ]

You really think O'Reilly has even half a brain?

Whether or not you like Limbaugh, it's pretty obvious he is a LOT smarter than Hannity or O'Reilly (but just about anyone is). Hannity is an idiot, but O'Reilly gives him a real run for it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes I do think he is smarter, and i'm not even going to point to orelly's master's degree or limbaugh's college dropout record.

i just believe that o'reilly is smarter from listening to him compared to limbaugh. limbaugh kinda talks like bush, wiht a lot of "Uh's" and "Ah's".
Old 06-27-2006, 06:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yes I do think he is smarter, and i'm not even going to point to orelly's master's degree or limbaugh's college dropout record.

i just believe that o'reilly is smarter from listening to him compared to limbaugh. limbaugh kinda talks like bush, wiht a lot of "Uh's" and "Ah's".

[/ QUOTE ]

Moreover, Limbaugh lacks Bill O'Reilly's shock-jock power. Nothing says "respect my authoritah" like the patented "SHUT UP! I'M GOING TO TAKE AWAY YOUR MICROPHONE!" technique.
Old 06-27-2006, 07:15 PM

According to a Leonard Pitts column, in which he cited a group for an amendment to ban flag burning there were all of THREE known flag burnings last year.

I love it when our politicians focus on the real issues come election time.
Old 06-27-2006, 07:36 PM

General question to the pro-amendment people: do you own the flag you bought? I ask because it occurs to me that part of the definition of your property is something that you can use and destroy at your discretion (Safely of course. I'm not questioning the legality of destroying things in an unsafe manner). If you cannot destroy it, then you don't really own it. And if you don't own it, who does? The place you bought it from? The federal government? What if you make your own flag? Is it yours or is it someone elses?
Old 06-27-2006, 07:43 PM

Default Frist Things Frist

"Countless men and women have died defending that flag," said Majority Leader Bill Frist, R-Tenn.

I never knew we had wars that involved mistreatment of the flag.
Old 06-27-2006, 07:57 PM

Default Re: Frist Things Frist

[ QUOTE ]
"Countless men and women have died defending that flag," said Majority Leader Bill Frist, R-Tenn.

I never knew we had wars that involved mistreatment of the flag.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry, Andy, but when you make statements like that you lower yourself to Cyrus' level.