Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-27-2006, 04:07 PM

Default Re: Walk Ortiz with mean on 1st and 2nd and 2 out?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
It's too bad Pap's ERA doubled in the last game he pitched...

but if he ends the year with a ginormous amount of saves and an ERA around 0.50, any chance for him?

[/ QUOTE ]

MAYBE for Cy Young but I doubt it. There are too many big name starters pushing for it. I think a lot of people will vote Halladay since he basically got robbed by injury last year. Hell Rivera couldn't win it last year and he had a monster season (although his ERA was like 1.2 or something).

I guess if he gets like 50 saves and keeps his ERA under 1 he's got a shot at Cy Young.

NT

[/ QUOTE ]

You realize Papelbon is not the best closer in his own division.
Old 06-27-2006, 04:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Ryan 38.0 IP - 21-22 sv/opp - 45 K - .47 ERA
Pap 39.1 IP - 23-25 sv/opp - 41 K - .46 ERA

Didn't realize they were still this close. One or both will come back down to earth, if either keeps this up he's def in contention.

Given contracts, upside and age the Sox are getting more value for Papelbon this year, remains to be seen if he will pan out in the long run.

NT
Old 06-27-2006, 04:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course everyone realizes that but the voting for 2006 will not based on past performances and/or reputation but how they perform in 2006 and right now Paplebom is outperforming Mariano.
Old 06-27-2006, 04:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course everyone realizes that but the voting for 2006 will not based on past performances and/or reputation but how they perform in 2006 and right now Paplebom is outperforming Mariano.

[/ QUOTE ]

This was my first thought too

See above

NT
Old 06-27-2006, 05:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Ortiz is sooo overrated this year. You'd think from watching ESPN that his OPS was 1200 or something. It was barely above 900 for awhile until last week, and at one point I believe it even dipped into the high 800s.

[/ QUOTE ]

He has been really frustrated with the shift this year, I've seen him hit a ton of groundouts that were clean singles last year. I'd like to see him spray to the opposite field a bit more with the bases empty.

NT

[/ QUOTE ]

He'll rarely do this for the same reason that Giambi doesn't. The Red Sox signed him "for his power", or so people say. I think they care more about getting runs than him padding his stats though.
Old 06-27-2006, 05:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hell Rivera couldn't win it last year and he had a monster season (although his ERA was like 1.2 or something).

[/ QUOTE ]

Yah but Rivera did beat Santana out. Giving the fat Angels starter the award was a huge joke considering Santana had him beat in every stat other than wins.
Old 06-27-2006, 05:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Ortiz is sooo overrated this year. You'd think from watching ESPN that his OPS was 1200 or something. It was barely above 900 for awhile until last week, and at one point I believe it even dipped into the high 800s.

[/ QUOTE ]

He has been really frustrated with the shift this year, I've seen him hit a ton of groundouts that were clean singles last year. I'd like to see him spray to the opposite field a bit more with the bases empty.

NT

[/ QUOTE ]

He'll rarely do this for the same reason that Giambi doesn't. The Red Sox signed him "for his power", or so people say. I think they care more about getting runs than him padding his stats though.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd like to see him get on base so Manny can knock him in, not so he can "pad his stats". Especially against pitchers unlikely to make mistakes vs. him - if he's in a spot where the count's not in his favor and he gets an outside strike, why not? He's a strong guy, one can imagine he'll get some doubles down the left field line, not just singles.

NT
Old 06-27-2006, 05:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

NT

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd like to see him get on base so Manny can knock him in, not so he can "pad his stats". Especially against pitchers unlikely to make mistakes vs. him - if he's in a spot where the count's not in his favor and he gets an outside strike, why not? He's a strong guy, one can imagine he'll get some doubles down the left field line, not just singles.

NT

[/ QUOTE ]

No I was saying I think that the Red Sox would like to see him hit it to left field in empty base shift situation. He could certainly get doubles down the left field line
Old 06-27-2006, 06:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]

No I was saying I think that the Red Sox would like to see him hit it to left field in empty base shift situation. He could certainly get doubles down the left field line

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh I see. You're saying he won't do it cause he likes to hit big manly taters but everyone wishes he would. I dunno. I think if he's still hitting .265 at the all-star break he'll consider it. He's done it a few times already.

NT
Old 06-27-2006, 06:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

not every anti-red sox comment is from a yankee fan you know